Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing an engine bay detail on a 1966 Mustang with a 200CI I6. The air cleaner has a tube coming off the side that connects to the breather. I am wondering if anyone can tell me why that is there because I can not find any photos anywhere of an air cleaner that looks like the one that I have.

·
Registered
10,173 Posts
That is for a closed crankcase PVC system. Your car very likely was delivered to a California dealer back in 1966

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is for a closed crankcase PVC system. Your car very likely was delivered to a California dealer back in 1966
Any idea where on the air cleaner I should put the normal stickers that would go on a 200CI air cleaner? I would like to get this car as close to stock looking as possible and this is a hiccup of sorts.

·
Premium Member
12,946 Posts
Maybe that's not the correct air cleaner for your car. The snorkel usually points off towards the right side fender, not straight ahead.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe that's not the correct air cleaner for your car. The snorkel usually points off towards the right side fender, not straight ahead.
Maybe. I can’t find any similar air cleaners on the internet so I’m really confused.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Most likely its a California car that tube is supposed to go to the smog pump system. The snorkel should point to the driver side, see pics 8835_12.jpg The bottom pic is mine I dont run a smog system so I just capped it off, the snorkel should have another nipple that goes to the oil cap.
six cyl1.JPG
8835_12.jpg
P1010153.JPG

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
This is how mine looks like..

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm not sure what all the concours rules are. But I would think you should, through your door tag and vin, figure out exactly how your car was equipped from the factory, and make it so. If you're gonna set it up like some random six cylinder model, there's one with a no snorkle, no elbow air cleaner. (Mine came with one.) Fairly featureless and symetrical, there's no worries about which way it should point.

·
Banned
400 Posts
Get rid of that plastic fuel filter and route it properly before we read about your sweet ride's engine compartment becoming a barbecue pit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts