Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...Laurie's thread on touch up painting.
Its time for me to put a compressor in the garage and I wanted a little bit of advice. Right now, my uses for a compressor will be impact wrench, die grinder, air hammer/chisel. Basically, some tools to help cut metal out and prep for welding, and then general mechanical stuff later, no body work or painting.

I was going to get this compressor from home depot,
but then I saw an add in the paper for this craftsman compressor from Sears which comes free with this air tool kit.

From browsing around, it seems that my biggest tool would pull 5-6 CFM at 90psi, so I was wondering if you all thought the craftsman would be adequate? It would be significantly cheaper when you factor in that tool kit, which is always a bonus, but I dont want to save a buck and get inadequate tools.
Any thoughts?

Edit: Reset Home Depot link. If it still doesn't work, its the 7HP 60 gallon Husky that produces 10.3 CFM at 90 PSI

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
The link to the Home Depot isn't working, so I can't tell which one you're refering to. The Sears will run the air tools, however if you using anything continuously, it will run the compressor alot. Because it is an oilless type, it will also be loud. Mine is a Home Depot special with a 22gal tank, the bigger tank on the Sears unit is a plus. However, I think you'll find that with an angle grinder or cutoff tool, you'll run out of air relatively quickly. I've been able to 'work' with mine by judicious use of the trigger.

As for the tool kit, mine came with similar tools, and I've yet to use any of them, well, except for the air chisel. I've used that a couple of times. You'll end up buying a cutoff tool and maybe an angle grinder. I'm not sure I'd let the 'free' tools sway your decision. Just my .02.

I WISH I had a 60 or better yet an 80 gallon tank. Then I'd be all set...for life :)

·
Registered
673 Posts
Pretty sure my pal has the Craftsman 2hp, 33gal unit you are looking at,he is very happy with it, has done one paint job with it, pro quality no, nice job though, yes. had issues with water in line, problem now fixed. The air kit looks like a nice bonus, also there is always the craftsman warranty

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I have the 60 gal. 7.5 HP Huskey from HD. I asked the store manager for a discount and he said "I can go 10%".

I've used it to sandblast, air tools, and paint. I'm planning on using it for final paint later this year. It has been an excellent purchase for $390.

The only tools I buy from Sears anymore are hand tools.

If you can go $400 get the biggest you can afford. They do sell pretty easy should you decide you don't want it anymore, provided it's a good unit.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I have a similar Craftsman setup but mine is 6HP, 33 gal. (the link says 2HP), It came with and impact gun that has no power, air ratchet works fine, air chisel works good. Overall the compressor works well, but is LOUD like all single stage compressors. It runs a lot with the air ratchet, die grinder, air shears, air sanders, and sand blasting. In respect to grinding, drilling and sanding, I try to use electric tools because it's quieter, and probably cheaper to run the electric version of the tool. I use air pretty much only for air only tasks.

A single stage compressor will probably need a compression ring and cylinder sleeve some day. I've had to replace them in the past and have had absolutely no problem getting them from Sears parts centers, (and online - about $20) I think that's where Sears shines ... They carry the spare parts... I don't think Home Depot has any sort of "tools service or parts" department. You might end up going directly back to the compressor manufacturer...With Sears you sort of know what you are getting.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Word of advice. If you can advoid the oiless type just for sound alone. I have both types. The 55 gal oiless by Sears is out in the shop and when it kicks on, it loosens up my molars and makes me deaf for weeks afterwards, whereas the old oiler in the garage still allows me to watch NFL while working on the car.

But the problem is finding a decent priced oiled unit for there are tons of oiless around now and need to stay aggressively priced. If though you go oiless just step outside your shop or garage when it kicks on. Hopefully the neighbors won't call the cops.....

:lol:

·
Registered
593 Posts
I would also reccomend the 7hp 60gal upright from Home Depot or Lowes. Both are essentially the same thing, just one's a Husky and one's a Cambel Hausfield. The upright saves a lot of flor space. It is 220v but I consider it mandatory. The motors are much more efficient. 110v models are convienent but really struggle to turn the compressor. Especially if you try using them with an extension cord.

Like stared previously. Unless you like hearing problems I'd advise against the oilless models. My friend fell for one as well with the included took kit. We built an insilated plywood box for the comressor to go into because it was so darn loud. Even in the box with the garage door closed, standing in the driveway with the hose under the door was annoying.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have the 33 gal Craftsman compressor and wish I could take it back. The warrenty is only a year (I am past that) and it will not run when connected with an extension cord. It will also not start up if it has built pressure more than about 40 psi. I usually have to drain it down to get it to start or it trips the breaker. And it is LOUD. My next purchase will be at least a 60 gal and will not be oil-less. I should have done it right the first time.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I have the craftsman and got it with the free tools. I had a problem with the drain valve but got it fixed. I also have used every one of the free tools many times. The impact gun died on me, but I was able to get it replaced by Orchard. Got very lucky though, and a nice kid replaced the impact gun with the stand alone gun which has a lot of power.

I love mine and while I have had two problems I got them fixed with some hassle from the store, nothing ever seems to go easy but I got what I wanted.

As for the compressor, it is very loud!! It runs a lot when using air tools. I also have a mini sand blasting cabinet, I can barely run it for a few minutes until it kicks in.

Bigger would be better but this will get most jobs for us home mechanics done!!!

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Get larger than you think is necessary, 90 psi usually isn't enough for an impact wrench, multi piston unit for sure, 220V, vertical tank, motor and compressor separate units. In other words, the kind you find in a professional garage. It will save you money and hearing aid batteries in the long run. :winkgrin:

·
Registered
21,070 Posts
Those oiless compressors are very noisey! I think they're fine for occassional use such as blowing up a tire once in a while or blowing out sprinkler lines. For use on our cars, I'd go for a regular unit. I bought this Puma a couple of years ago and it's been flawless. I checked with a local distributer. He said it was the most reliablr unit that he sells. I got mine from Haror Freight. It was free shipping. I found that the Puma had the highest CFM. It also uses a cast iron compressor that's a "V" style. The V style lets it run cooler along with it also being intercooled. This results in better performance. I've also found that as air compressors go, it's relatively quiet. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=34887

I don't regret the extra money I spent for a second.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Check your e-mail regarding the start-up problem. Should not be happening. :no:

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
we have a local farm supply store here that has 6 hp---60 gallon 12 [email protected] for 379.99---they are puma brand----you might check for a puma dealer near you---these are a vertical tank, this is like the coleman I have and have had no problems----I saw they are recommending synthetic oil in these now from the factory, I posted that a year or more ago---I was told to do that and I did and I swear it runs cooler and quieter----maybe just in my head---

·
Registered
21,070 Posts
See my post below. I have a Puma as well. A very nice compressor IMO. Synthetic is going in mine. We're running synthetic on a compresor for our dry system fire sprinkler that runs very frequently. If it hadn't been for the synthetic, the compressor would have been toast now, It's running great!

·
Registered
28 Posts
You did not state how much money you want to spend. I have a 5 HP 2-stage compressor, 50 gallon tank. It keeps up with my sand blaster so there is plenty of air for painting. You are looking at a $1000 up for the 5 HP 2-stage (cast iron) compressor.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Puma compressors look pretty nice. Looks like there are 2 versions (30 gal vs. 60 gal). I wonder if the 30 gallon could keep up alright, or if I should just go ahead and spend the extra money for the $500 60 gallon.
Thanks for all the replies thus far.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts