Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SWMBO bought me a Craftsman 30gal compressor for Father's day, I've used it three times since, and I've noticed that it doesn't come on when the pressure drops, like it's supposed to do. It has dropped below 20psi and still it's not coming up. This is a new unit and I'm wondering if there's something I should've done for the "auto" to come up? TIA.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
There is usually an "auto" mode on a switch someplace. At least, my compressor has an "auto" and an "off" switch. If yours is set right and still isn't coming on, it must have a defective pressure switch. It should have come with a manual. When all else fails, read the instructions! :) :) :)

·
Registered
832 Posts
make sure it is plugged in to a hot outlet. Blown fuse? circuit braker kicked off?

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually Jimbo, now that you mentioned it, the circuit breaker in the rear of the house tends to reset, even though the compressor is nowhere near that area, I'll have to check that. Lol, didn't put the two together....hehe. Tks

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
That was going to be my guess as well. Compressors draw quite a bit of amps. In my old house, I had only one circuit I could run my compressor on or it would trip the breaker, and even on that circuit, I had to have most everthing else on the circuit turned off. It was a real PIA. My new house has MUCH better wiring and it's really nice to not have to go marching to the back yard in the dark to reset the circuit breaker on a regular basis :p

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have to check because the compressor is in the garage, and the breaker fails in the back rooms! It doesn't seem like it's in the same circuit breaker, then again, who knows about these old houses. Thanks for the tip, if it doesn't work, I'll be sure to ask again in VMF.
Jose

·
Registered
405 Posts
there should be a limit switch inside the cover where the on/off switch is, you should beable to set the compressor to come at your desired pressure, example( it can turn on at 50 psi 60 70 80 90 ) where ever you want it to.
hope this helps

1 - 7 of 7 Posts