Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting a bigger compressor. I have limited space but should be able to fit a 30gal upright. I saw a Husky at Home Depot for $299. If I remember correctly it can handle 5.5cmf @ 90psi and something like 9cfm @ 40psi. Constant 2hp (maybe 1.5) Not a cast iron compressor. Anyone seen one of these? Have any suggestions? I'd like to stay in the $300 price range if possible.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
It really depends on your planned usage. No media blaster, no painting then 30 might get you by. Personally I would go for a 60gal upright 220 single stage or bigger. Then all your bases are covered.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I bought the Husky 60 gal 7.5HP peak for $389.
I asked for a discount at HD and the store manager said sure!

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have 5hp 60 gal and it barely keeps up when sand blasting, or using my cutoff wheel, and it is rated 14 scfm @ 90psi I think. I remember the debate I had over buying a compressor, and ended up on the bigger is definately better side. I don't regret my purchase. I got my on craigslist brand new, and on the pallet still from a guy who planned on restoring cars again, then had a heartattack and decided he couldn't anymore. I think it took me like 3 weeks searching everyday.

·
Registered
765 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'd have to agree that you'd want to go bigger than 30 gallon. The 60 gallon is not much more and take up the same amount of floor space.

You'd have to plumb and wire it, however, which adds to the cost.

I have a 3.7 HP 60 Gallon Compressor (13.4 SCFM @ 40 PSI, 11.5 SCFM @ 90 PSI).

I've thrown everything at it I have and it keeps up very easily with everything. Sandblasting and DA sanding are no problem.

·
Registered
21,474 Posts
Once you get a compressor, you start to use it more then you thought. IMO, pass on it and get at least a 60 gal, 5-6 hp unit and check their outputs from one brand to another. I bought a Puma from Harbor Freight (60 gal vert tank, 5 hp ) and it's been great. If budget isn't an issue, 2 stage is even better. IMO, that 2 hp, 30 gal is a waste of money unless you're just pumping up tires occasionally.

·
Registered
301 Posts
After going bigger several times I now use a 5hp 2-stage 80 gal and start a second 5hp 2-stage 80 gal when blast a lot. With the two I can run my 1 bag of sand sized blaster constant. My cabinet even drags one down bad. bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts