Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after doing everything by hand yesterday I realized how handy air tools would be. I still need to tear more into the '66 so I thought this would be a good time to look into a compressor and tools. Any recommendations? I thought I would stop by Schucks and Sears to see what they had available.

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Make sure it has a large tank...if your using air tools for a extended period of time..you can go through air pretty fast! So the darn thing runs continually!

·
Premium Member
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did a quick search... is a 2.5 HP, 12 gal tank with 115 PSI enough to keep me going for awhile?

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
If you plan to use the compressor to run things like DA sanders and spray guns, you want the most CFM at the highest pressure you can afford. If you're just going to use it for the occasional impact wrench or tire inflation, the little compressors will do fine.

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
I've got a 15 gal on mine and I'm outta air quick! That deal that Kens put a link for is probably the cheapest way to go. And unless your using like a shop would...I'd think it would last you a long time....I've even thought about getting that one....also keep in mind...if it runs continually, it gets hot and puts alot of moisture in the tank....that travels into the airhose....into your tools...or out the paint gun.

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Just FYI, this is nowhere near what you'd need for a bead blaster. I have a 25 gallon, 5 HP, 135 PSI and I still have to take fairly regular short breaks it to catch up. But, it was all that I could afford.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I bought that very compressor from Harbor Freight a couple months ago, along with this set of tools. The compressor seems to keep up with the tools fine. I'm impressed, especially at $169! Although I haven't tried it with a blaster or spray gun yet.

Britton, if your interested in this, you're welcome to swing up north and check mine out.

·
Premium Member
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input! I don't plan on doing any grinding or painting w/it so the Harbor Freight A/C might work well. Dan, any free time this Sunday? Fri and Sat are booked for me but I wouldn't mind taking a look at it.

·
Premium Member
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Social coordinator...now thats a new one. If she has to many honeydo's for ya we can do it another time.

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
If that ends up happening, please LMK. I have Bling Bling polish for Dan, and Dan has $$$$ and hood lock parts for me. Maybe we can get Britton to be our go-between.

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
I bought a package deal at Home Depot for mine (compressor and a bunch of tools). It's about the size as what Dan has. More air is usually better. But one thing that is important to me is 110v operation and portablility. I've used mine in several locations other than the garage already and the portability factor is important to me. I have noticed that with the die grinder the compressor runs a lot.

The most useful tools I've found so far are the die grinder (cutting, grinding, wire wheel, etc), blow gun for blowing air to clean stuff off(and blow up kid's toys), air ratchet, impact wrench in that order. Although they're all invaluable for the right job. I can't tell you how many hours and frustration my air tools saved me on my car.

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
and blow up kid's toys
Oh, here we go again!!! I thought SirStrokealot had a corner on that market!!! ::

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
No honeydos (that I know of!), but my daughter is competing at the fair Sunday. I need to be there to gloat over her blue ribbons and harass the other loser kids. However, that should only be an hour or two at some point in the day, so I should be able to work you into my busy social calendar. I'll have my people call your people ...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts