Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 that was equipped with factory air conditioning. The hardware is all there except for the evaporator and condensor. Should I make the old stuff work with the better freon, or should I replace it with an aftermarket unit? Would the factory unit be as good as the aftermarkets? Price wise Im sure it would cost the same either way. Thanks for any input...

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,254 Posts
A lot of people have had good luck with a partial upgrade. This is the way I'm going with my 67. Everything will be factory except the compressor and mount, the condensor, and whatever lines I might have to adapt.
The old style compressors generally do not handle R134 very well. They work, but just don't cool well. I highly recommend a Sanden compressor. Classic air can sell you one along with an adapter to mount it in place of the original compressor. A lot of the replacement condensers have a larger capacity now. Kind of like replacing a 2 row radiator with a 4 row, it cools a LOT better. Make sure you get one of these instead of a plain old repro. To the untrained eye they are identical to NOS. The upgraded condensor will bolt in exactly as the original did, so you can use the factory style drier, lines, and hardware.
The only part that will indicate you have upgraded AC is the compressor. It should cool as well as any "add-on" kit you can buy AND you'll be able to use the AC to defog your windshield. Unlike an add-on.
This is assuming you will be going through all the related components to make sure everything is in condition. Of course one way to do this would be to spring for a complete in-dash kit form Classic Air. My pockets aren't that deep.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
I agree with Gypsy...
Go with the Sanden R134A conversion from CAA in Tampa. They will also have the evaporator, condensor, and filter/dryer.

·
Administrator
19,504 Posts
For another choice, check out Hot Rod Air's system. I like it better than CAA and it's what I'll be using in my 68 fastback.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts