Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may sound like I‘m crazy but since the compressor goes on the passenger side, shouldn’t the condenser also go on that side? The pictures I’m seeing are for the hoses and they are going in the drivers side and crossing over the engine? Anybody got pictures of this.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
doesnt really matter as long as the hoses are not impeding on other things. note that the core support has the opening for the a/c hoses on the drivers side. you can create your own holes on the passenger side though as there is no rule against that, but beware that you need to have hoses made to fit. not expensive though, just hit up your local a/c shop and they can fix you up.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
No, compressor is standardized. The hoses just route across te engine.

Reactions: STLMustangGuy

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, got that. Now where will the hoses go through the fire wall. It looks like they go on the drivers side.

·
Premium Member
12,010 Posts
All '65/'66 Mustangs had a pre-punched "knockout" in the firewall for the A/C hoses. It is to the left of the car's centerline.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
Actually only 66 had the knock out. 65 had a pair of vertical holes In a slightly different position.

Reactions: HoustonGlock

·
Registered
213 Posts
Flade

Do you have a side shot of the compressor showing the pulleys and drive belts?

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
My car is apart at the moment, but I think I have some pics. I'll look

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think what I’m confused about is, the condenser is mounted on the radiator On the drivers side. The compressor is mounted on the passenger side. The hoses go through the firewall on the drivers side below and to the left of the master cylinder. This is where I found the oval cut out on my 66. I just don’t think the hoses are long enough.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
Ford just used
l9nger hoses.

·
Premium Member
7,041 Posts
The 1965 underdash unit had the hose inlet and outlet on the driver side, whereas the 1966 had them in the middle. The Fairlane 1965 had them on the right side.

The original condenser is not real good, and the driver is wedged in the grill.

A lot of people use an aftermarket condenser, about 15 x 18 or so, with a drier that mounts on the apron.

I had thought that it would make sense for a 1965 6 cylinder to use a Fairlane underdash, and an aftermarket condenser with the hoses on the right side, and plumb it all on the right side.

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
Does this help ? Dean

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
My `66 does not have the cover plate around the holes as are factory correct. It was this way when I bought it in `84. I've always assumed it was dealer installed since it has the C2 or C3 part numbered add-on A/C pulley. Taking this picture reminds me I need to replace the rubber grommets which are missing. Dean

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That’s exactly where my holes are. I have a knockout plate there now. thank you

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
That’s the standard 66 knock out for A/C. You need to use the grommet and retainer like 66sprint showed.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
So you have a 64 1/2 car with a generator. It may have had the belts run differently. Need to find a engine assembly manual for it. (Might be in the electrical assembly manual. Ford put A/C in there for some reason.)

·
Registered
213 Posts
So you have a 64 1/2 car with a generator. It may have had the belts run differently. Need to find a engine assembly manual for it. (Might be in the electrical assembly manual. Ford put A/C in there for some reason.)
Thank you. I will check around.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts