Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing the factory type air conditioning in my 64.5 with a 260 and generator.
The unit has the Sanden style compressor.

My question is,
Do I need an idler pulley for the compressor like the 65 66 cars with alternators?
I have seen pictures with and without pulleys.

If I need a pulley, is it the adjustable one or the fixed one.
Pics would be awesome too.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
These questions are best answered by the maker of the kit you are installing.

The fixed idler was an optional part that Ford offered after production started to reduce belt slap on the long AC belt. Some cars have it, some dont. My 65 doesnt have it and I am adding it.

The adjustable idler has 3 connection points. Two of the bolts go through slotted holes in the bracket and into the water pump and the third hole goes into the right cylinder head and is the upper mount for the alternator. This idler is how you tension the AC belt.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As mentioned it is all Ford OEM except for the compressor which is a common replacement for the Ford issue. I purchased the unit as used and not all the bits are there.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Just added A/C to a 65 Fastback. Under hood I used the original Ford Brackets and pulleys with a Sanden compressor. I used both the fixed and adjustable idler pulleys. I am not sure how different the 64 1/2 set up was. I have te engine Assembly manual at home and will check tonight.

·
Registered
9,042 Posts
Just curious... Why do you need two idlers and two belts running the alternator when there are not even any accessories?!??

You probably could have gotten away with no idlers and one belt for the alternator... Sure, what you did will work, but it looks like overkill...

Just sayin'.... Is this what the manufacturer of the A/C unit suggested....?

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just added A/C to a 65 Fastback. Under hood I used the original Ford Brackets and pulleys with a Sanden compressor. I used both the fixed and adjustable idler pulleys. I am not sure how different the 64 1/2 set up was. I have te engine Assembly manual at home and will check tonight.

The difference is that the generator sits close to where the top idler pulley is in your pic.

·
Registered
36,555 Posts
The fixed idler below the compressor was installed when owners complained of vibration. With a Sanden compressor, you probably don't need it.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Just curious... Why do you need two idlers and two belts running the alternator when there are not even any accessories?!??

You probably could have gotten away with no idlers and one belt for the alternator... Sure, what you did will work, but it looks like overkill...

Just sayin'.... Is this what the manufacturer of the A/C unit suggested....?

Tony K.
Tony,

I did it that way because it’s how Mr. Ford designed it! They used the dual pulley when there was no power steering. I guess they didn’t want empty pulleys. The upper idler keeps the belt away from the fan and water pump pulley. The other idler was added starting in 67 and a dealer install on 65/66 to reduce noise and belt vibration.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
On a side note, I was on the phone with Vintage Air today and they tell me the dogleg bracket is unnecessary.

If that is so, why did Henry put one on?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Curtis at Classic Auto Air 1-866-352-4678 x7024 can answer any questions you have. Very helpful

For the idler pulley I would suggest using the 67/68 style.
I have the 65/66 style on my 65 and the 2 son's have a 67 & 68.
The 67 has a 65 block so all the same mounting are there.
The reason to use the 67/68 style idler is the belt adjustment is easier and doesn't require loosening bolts that hold the water pump on, which causes it to leak when making belt adjustments until the bolts are tight again. Also the 67/68 has a nice 1/2" drive hole in the bracket to help with tightening the belt.

Below are pics of the 67/68 style with the additional bracket I make for the Sanden compressor on the 67(289) and the 68(302).

Attachments

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
On a side note, I was on the phone with Vintage Air today and they tell me the dogleg bracket is unnecessary.

I tried both with and without the dogleg. Decided to install it and I plan to fabricate a bracket to connect the compressor to it. The original compressor needed it because of the pistons and vibration it had. The Sanden is a rotary compressor doesn’t need it, but I wanted to keep things looking close to original. And if the guy I am restoring this for ever wants to go with an original compressor he’ll have all the right parts.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
There is also the brace that goes from the top of the compressor to the rear of the engine.

My car doesnt have that brace and I havent seen any for sale.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
There is also the brace that goes from the top of the compressor to the rear of the engine.

My car doesnt have that brace and I havent seen any for sale.
I hav done on my 68, but it has an original York compressor.

I’ve got another one I could use on the 65, but haven’t decided whether or not to install it. The Sanden doesn’t need it since it is so smooth running and light. There are actually several versions of the bar. 64, 65/66 and 67/68 it seems.

They aren’t too hard to find used.

http://www.championmustang.com/64%C2%BD68-mustang-ac-compressor-brace-reconditionedbrread-details-p-10293.html?zenid=ef5aa8e0cae158040fa7a0cb868fd2c9

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/c7zz-2889-a.html?attribs=75

Plenty on eBay too

https://www.ebay.com/itm/65-66-Ford-Mustang-289-302-A-C-Compressor-ANTI-Vibration-Brace-B-22/273801518514?hash=item3fbfd79db2:g:qysAAOSw8TJcNSd1:sc:USPSPriorityFlatRateBox!32578!US!-1

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
I thought the purpose of the idler pulley under the compressor was for added belt contact area on the compressor to reduce belt slippage.

I have a Sanden but my drive belt setup is a serpentine and is a combination of March and fox body parts. I have a fox tensioner and a March stationary idler under the compressor.

I know our setups are different, but I would think the second pulley would be desirable.

I agree about contacting Classic Auto Air. That is where I got everything to convert original 66 dealer installed AC to 134A with the Sanden.

·
Registered
9,042 Posts
Interesting stuff. Great thread!

Tony K.

·
Registered
36,555 Posts

Because the Tecumseh and York compressors produce a LOT more vibration than a Sanden. Ford didn't spend 2¢ where they didn't HAVE to.

·
Registered
36,555 Posts
I thought the purpose of the idler pulley under the compressor was for added belt contact area on the compressor to reduce belt slippage.
Nope. If you look at the geometry, the fixed idler reduces compressor pulley contact about 2°.

The belt coming off the compressor to the crankshaft is well over a foot. This tended to vibrate the belt like a guitar string. Interrupting that span reduces vibration.

·
Registered
36,555 Posts
I hav done on my 68, but it has an original York compressor.

I’ve got another one I could use on the 65, but haven’t decided whether or not to install it. The Sanden doesn’t need it since it is so smooth running and light. There are actually several versions of the bar. 64, 65/66 and 67/68 it seems.

They aren’t too hard to find used.
The 65-66 goes straight back, then angles in toward the intake. The 67-68 goes inward, then back. Sounds trivial until you try to put Cobra valve covers on the engine. Can't be done with the 65-66 brace, as the oil cap will hit the brace. For this reason, the 67-68 has always been in demand.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts