Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping to clear up a bit of car-history. My '65 came with a blue air filter housing with a little side pipe for a hose to the filter on the right valve cover (where you add oil). This seems like the wrong housing so I picked up a gold one long ago (still need to cut a notch in the snoot). It does not have a pipe to the filter. Should it? Is this pipe something unique to California cars?

Deke

Attachments

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
The blue one looks like 68 289. Hose goes from that fitting to the oil fill cap on driver side front of valve cover.

The original on my 68 C code looks just like it.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
The hose to the oil breather cap is for a "closed" PCV system, required for CA cars. Without the hose is an "open" system, in which fresh air for PCV is taken in directly from the atmosphere. If you have a worn out engine with excessive blow-by (coming out of the breather cap), the closed system is much more eco-friendly. If your engine is pretty healthy, it doesn't make a difference, as air should only be going into the breather cap. I think that by '66, the closed system was used everywhere, but I am probably wrong and will be duly corrected.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
The hose to the oil breather cap is for a "closed" PCV system, required for CA cars. Without the hose is an "open" system, in which fresh air for PCV is taken in directly from the atmosphere. If you have a worn out engine with excessive blow-by (coming out of the breather cap), the closed system is much more eco-friendly. If your engine is pretty healthy, it doesn't make a difference, as air should only be going into the breather cap. I think that by '66, the closed system was used everywhere, but I am probably wrong and will be duly corrected.
CA or not the blue air cleaner looks precisely like 68. The smooth top and the hose fitting bent toward the driver side is 68 289/302. The snorkel is also correct for 68 289/302.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This was a California car so perhaps the 68 housing was put in when they couldn't find an 65 housing with the added pipe. I'm working to get the car back to stock and will search for a 65 housing with pcv pipe. Anyone want a '68 housing? What are they worth?

Deke

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Could be wrong, but I believe a '66 air cleaner is the same as a '65 with a closed PCV system. You will just need to paint it gold with a black snorkel. Just thought I'd mention it because '66's are usually easier to find.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts