Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i see pics of all these cars with just the air filter on the top of the carb, no ugly blue thing to go over it. can i do that with the 68, or does it require like a special filter or something?

i know, a noob question :p

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Like this?
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/norm/knn-66-3040_w_m.jpg
K&N makes an air filter like that, it's a regular base, a filter and a top made out of filter material. The more I read about K&N, the more I wouldn't buy one as they don't seem to filter that well. I'm kicking around an Amsoil, they filter AND have high airflow.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
To answer your question, yes you can replace your stock airfilter with an aftermarket aircleaner. You may need a new filter as the aftermarket units come in all shapes and sizes.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
If you go with a taller filter, just get a drop down air cleaner, I have a 3 inch tall one on mine.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i was thinking like in vintage289's sig, where it's just a filter, no cover

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
restorodmaniac said:
well i was thinking like in vintage289's sig, where it's just a filter, no cover
That's a hipo air filter assembly as used on the K codes.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Your desribing an open element filter. have the stock[ugly blue] air cleaner housing on my 289., but I purchased an chrome open air cleaner[the hi-po 289], which is nice, and gives better air flow. Do'nt throw that ugly blue on away though, I don't think they are rare, but definatly worth keeping. Mine was blasted and painted, ti looks pretty nice, and has the working snorkel, can someone explain exactly how that works???

·
Registered
556 Posts
Yep I bought the k code style open element air cleaner from some mustang vendor, cant remember which, but most vendors sell them. I bought it because I wanted the chrome open element, but its a little more authetic then a holley brand or something else. then i added a K&n filter.

·
Registered
556 Posts
how the snorkel works... i think
when its cold it uses the warm air off the exhaust manifold to help heat the carburetor for faster cold starts, once it heats up enough the flap (or trap door if you will) closes off the manifold heated air and just sucks out the end of the snorkel, for fresher air.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
whoah i didn't think that actually had a purpose lol. with winter coming up i just might leave that on there lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts