Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the points on my 65 inline with a Pentronix unit and going by the instructions, using the pivot hole, I have about an 1/8 inch gap from the pickup unit to the magnets. The car starts ok and will rev up (I haven't tried to drive it yet)... I confirmed it is the right unit for my 6 cyl. Has anyone else had similar problems... There is a clear plastic 030 feeler guage but since it is mounted in the correct place but the gap cannot be adjusted that guage can't be used. I'm keeping the points just in case..... thanks Martin

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Has anyone else had similar problems...
I don't understand. You say the engine starts and will rev, but don't list a problem ... what problem are you experiencing?

the gap cannot be adjusted .....
Why can't the gap be adjusted? You'll only use one screw, and the little stud on the bottom of the Pertronix unit will fit in the little hole on the distributor's breaker plate. With the screw loose, the Pertronix should "swivel" on that little stud.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since the kit came with a 'feeler guage' and the instructions say to use that guage I sort of got the feeling the gap is important. Since I installed the module using the pivot post and the correct screw hole BUT the gap is about 1/8 inch, this is not was was intended. I'm just wondering IF anyone else had a similar experience. Also, I'm concerned that with that wide a gap, that at hwy speed, that the pick-up module MAY get inaccurate magnetic info. I'll run the car around town tomorrow and see if it works ok and respond. Just seems weird is all..

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
A friend of mine just replaced points with Pertronix and he had trouble making it work, also complained that the system was very delicate about the air gap. I have to ask him what the problem was compared to instructions.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Martin,
You apparently have the wrong module. The fact that you have an eighth of an inch gap and the motor still starts and revs proves that the gap on pertronix is not as critical as with points. Always set it with the little plastic guage, but if you don't have the guage, an eyeball setting between .0030 and .0045 will work. I have placed many sets of points in six cylinder distributors with the pertronix and they fit fine without the problems you are having. Early on, pertronix had a problem with the six cylinder applications, but that was remedied.
jazzbo

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
do not uknderstand your problemsince car runs at idle but no problem defined. i experimented with mine at install and it is very insensitive - i could go from 0.015 to 0.030 with no difference noted at standstill revving engine at no load only. i set it at 0.030 and runs fine.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to ya'll for the info. I rechecked all and I do still have the 'large' gap BUT it runs fine on the hiway so I won't complain. My next step is to install the higher voltage coil, new spark plug wires and spark plugs. Again, thanks for ALL the advice and information.. Martin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts