Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the 65/66 Mustangs (not sure of other years), do you usally leave the air vent under the drivers side cowl open or closed? What I getting at is, is it worth the effort to fix to cable to operate the vent or just leave it closed all the time? Thanks in advance.

G

·
0 Posts
Depends on where you live andwhether you have air conditioning. Where I live, I would fix it.

BTW: If you haev to remove the entire assembly, its a good time to inspect the cowl hat.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I would say it's a good thing to fix any part that doesn't work properly, especially if that's the general area where you are currently working. The vent provides fresh air to the driver, particularly if you don't have air conditioning on a hot summer day. I put extra effort in the restoration of the vent and associated cable so that it would be available on the Fastback. However, I also installed an AFX-type tear-drop fiberglass hood and when I open the vent, very hot engine air is drawn through the hood openings, down into the cowl, and through the vent.

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Open in summer, closed otherwise. If your problem is just a broken/missing cable, it's a relatively easy and cheap fix.

Steve

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your feedback, going to the local Classic Mustang supplier this afternoon.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've been reading some of the replies about the cowl 'hat'.. Can anyone define exactly what it is? I think it is the vented area from outside the car just below the windshield where the wiper protrude. What is the procedure to remove the cowl 'hat' to check for or fix leaks and clean old leaves/debris.. Thanks.. Martin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts