Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering how hard it is to setup an alarm for clasic mustangs? I called a couple of shops & 1 said he would call back after he checked how much it would cost & the other shop said no. Cars too old. They said they work on cars that have harnesses they can just plug into.
Where have you guys gone to. I really just want a starter interupt & door locks installed & then activacted by the remote. Remote starter would be a nice feature, but I doubt it would work.

·
Registered
758 Posts
You're right in that the stereo/alarm guys just want to pop-wire in one box and call it an installation... which can't be done in a car as old as a classic Mustang.

You should be able to do it yourself if you buy the right system and have an electrical diagram for the wire color codings. I doubt you'll get remote start without a lot of work - it's hard to do on carbureted engines because you usually need to kick the fast idle cam into position before starting. EFI engines are completely automatic, so it's easier to do on newer cars.

I might be able to offer some help and certainly can offer advice. Besides being an experienced 'Stanger, I wrote the book (literally) on automotive security systems about 20 years ago. :)

Drop me a PM if you're interested.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I installed a 2 way Viper alarm on my 65. There are a lot of wires that you don't use. on mine i could roll windows down and pop the truck and locks. Since the stang is all mechanical i didnt use those perks. I didnt wire in my lights and horn either because the electrical is a little messed up. I hooked up the imobilizer and hook latch switch.

Once i get the courtesy lights and relays for the head lights figured out i will hook my lights up to the box.

it took me a day to figure it out, i dont do this for a living, i just mess around. so if you are inclined to do so, its not impossible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts