Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
19,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend an alarm system for my new F-250 that will page me rather than just scream bloody murder in the parking lot? I'm not interested in remote start capability, just remote paging like while I'm on a road trip and I'm in the motel room kicking back with a cold beer and my friends and someone breaks into my truck? If they get my truck, they get my trailer and Murphy and I won't be a happy camper.
/forums/images/icons/mad.gif

G

·
0 Posts
check out viper and clifford web pages. They make some very good car alarms they might have a system for you

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I like the theft protection (or was it car jacking protection?) someone posted here a couple of years ago..
I think it was in Australia,... that shot huge flames out the side from underneath the rockers. The sound of the guy screaming would kind of be like the regular alarm siren though, only much louder and a lot shorter.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I think it was developed in South Africa where car jacking at traffic lights is a huge threat.
If I recall correctly, it was available with either fire or gas... .
Now, that aint a really nice way, but it would definately work! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif
The crook wont try to steal cars again, EVER.... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif lol

·
Administrator
19,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With my luck I would forget to disarm it one morning. Ouch! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
699 Posts
It should have nice side effects, if you are living in a cold area with lots of snow and ice.

If your car gets covered with snow, just use the remote control to "fire up" /forums/images/icons/wink.gif the alarm system,
and you are ready to go... ! You dont have to shovel your way to your car again, ever! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif lol

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hello Laurie, I think they are a bit overpriced, but Audio Express and Ultimate Electronics had a good selection and helpfull staff when I checked them out up here in Phoenix. They had a couple paging models available also. I put the Bulldog alarm in my 66, but I had them install a viper system in my wifes car and they did an excellect job. Maybe consider the Lojack system also, I heard good things about it, but it will run ya around $600-$700 to get one installed. Good Luck. James.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I was also interested in remote notification when looking into vehicle security. I found that all of the "paging" alarm systems I found were not true satellite "page"ing but more of a two way connect where you had to be within a certain range, usually under a thousand feet. That would work if like you had it parked outside work or the home but IMO it's not that big of a deal. I DID find a service by a company called televoke .. www.televoke.net .. that basically can monitor and control digital accessories via cell phone. They had a car alarm example of killing the ignition remotely if it's stolen or being able to track it via computer, or any number of other things. They also listed other possibilities such as open garage door, locate lost pet, etc .. depending on what it's installed on. I would personally use it only for my vehicle, but it would come in handy being able to operate my car from my cell phone, you know as I'm walking to my car, call the service, enter the password or whatever or have it saved, then press a button to disarm/unlock, a button to pop the door poppers, a button to start the engine, etc. If you're serious I'd look into it but I have NO CLUE the cost involved, but am guessing there would be a subscription fee.

·
Administrator
19,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't think I can get Midlife to sit still long enough to make it work. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I have a page alarm with piezio electric sensors you mount in the door jambs. Paid about $150 for it brand new and never installed it. Its been sitting on a shelf in my kitchen. You want to buy it? Since I'm unemployed and money is running out we could work something out.

Regards,
Chris

·
Administrator
19,348 Posts
I have a 4 year old Clifford paging system. It required the addition of another antenna (hidden) for the accessory pager.
The pager is supposed to be rated for 1/4 mile. They must have gotten that reading in the middle of a dead-flat Arizona desert. I believe you'd best be on the same block. We did a little informal testing. It works fine for the motel and mall situations.
A friend has a similar Viper setup. Both alarms seem about equivalent.
My daughter's car has a basic Bulldog system which works OK. It's functional, cheap, and easy to add more sensors to. I don't know if they offer a paging option. I might look into that.
None of these systems are very new. As with all electronics, I'm sure the brand new stuff has a lot more functionality. I think the pager option is the most useful. I'd love to have a "pager only" alarm for my bike. Problem is I ride a chopper and there's no good place to install any that I've seen for sale. They're getting smaller all the time though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts