Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I really need to get an answer for this quick. I have one day to fix the car before I have to work. Earlier today while I was driving home I started to hear a funny noise. It's kind of difficult to describe, but I'll try my best. It started as a sort of metallic thumping that would happen as the wheel rotated and when I turned the wheels to the right more it turned into a sort of metallic screeching that would again happen once every time the wheel rotated. IT ONLY HAPPENS WHEN I TURN RIGHT. It's definately not my tire rubbing. Is it a bearing in my hub going bad, or my brake catching, or could it be caused by my steering linkage starting to go bad? I'm taking the wheel off and checking the brakes tomorrow because it's supposed to be nice.

I was wondering about it being a wheel bearing, but the noise is only when I turn right, and even when I am turning it doesn't do it constantly its like something is warped and rubbing when it hits a certain point once every rotation.

And just in case anybody asks, my car currently sits on it's original 4 lug, 9x2.5 (front, back brakes are narrower), drum brakes, it's original 14" rims, with P195/75/R14 Uniroyal Tiger Paw 1" white band tires. Thanks, Michael

·
Registered
571 Posts
If it was a bearing, you'd probably hear the sound all the time. It could be a lot of different things, have you inspected the ball joints and the tie rod ends? That's where I would start.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Wheel bearings can get noisey only when they have a load on them. IE: If you turn right, the left bearing is under load and will make the noise.

Also, the brake dust shield could be contacting the rotor (may or may not be in conjunction with the loose bearing).

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,669 Posts
Well the very first thing I would look at would be to see if the lug nuts had loosened up. It certainly happens. Next maybe the spindle nut. Once you get far enough to check that you should be able to spot something.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well good, but no so good news. The good part is, It's nothing serious (not a bearing, ball joint, tie-rod, etc). The not so good part is, what I found wedged between my drum and backing plate.... a sizeable chunk of the rear pad on my 5 month old brake shoes. It had gotten lodged down there and was causing the problem. I went to pull the shoes off the passenger side to go get them replaced (I have lifetime warranty shoes), and a good size chunk had broken off the rear pad on the passenger side as well. This was stuck between the top of the shoe and the peg that it seats against, so the brake shoe wouldn't retract and was pressing out against my drum, causing my car to pull to the right.

My only guess is that when I turned right (it was a hard right down a hill) the piece of pad got dislodged from the shoe and jammed.

Glad I found all this out in the early hours of my day off. lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts