Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone mentioned that the same aluminum master cylinder sold by CA can be had over the counter (out of a 88 Lincoln or something?)... anyone have a good/cheap alternative setup to replace a single MC in a 65/66? List 'o parts and part numbers would be great! I 'owe' someone this setup but won't be doing the work myself, so I'm trying to collect all the details in one place so I can send it on...

Thanks in advance!

-bob

·
Registered
115 Posts
The good ol' trusty 1974 Maverick manual disc brake master cylinder. They are cheap and fit perfectly on an old Mustang. I used one when I swapped from manual drums to a disc brake set up. The push rod hole and bolt pattern was identical to my drum master cylinder. Use your current mustang pushrod and not the maverick one.

I am aware you got the single reservoir M/C. If you don't have a tube bender, tube cutter, and double flaring tool go out an buy one and fab new lines yourself. Buy more brake line than you need from any autoparts store. You will need some to practice on if you have never used a flaring tool before. Go buy an adjustable proportioning valve from Summit (The best price I have see on those) and plumb that to the rear brakeline and use the your existing distribution block for only your front brake line. I have seen 64 1/2 - 66 disc brake conversions plumbed like this at numerous car shows.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
As recommended by gt350clone, I put the '85 SVO MC in my '67. Nice new aluminum unit cost about $60 without a core charge. Outlets are on the inside, but other than that it fits well and the 1 1/8 bore gives a good pedal feel. Part # 10-1897. Not the best photo. but you get a good idea.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Bob, I use the SVO master in mine (rusty cast version). Look up some of mine and Art's posts of about a year ago and you will
see a few postings of the Bendix and Raybestos parts numbers. A while back someone else posted the part
number for a similiar M/C with the outlet ports on the wirewall side. Would make installation easier and help
keep the fluid cooler.
Bob.

·
Registered
771 Posts
while I am not familar with cobra's Mc, I know they use hd pass car rear drums. Is this is the route you take, try some of the ford truck mc's from 87-93 f150;s. These are alu with plastic reservoir, have the residual pressure valve for disc/drum combos.

If you plan to go with disc.disc, I would use one from a mark V11 or svo or maybe even a late 94- mustang. Late model cobras have even a larger bore than the v6. Gt mustang. BTW, I plan to use the 94 mustang V6 MC for my 67 restmod 4 wheel disc car.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Bob,

The dual reservior aluminum body master cylinder that is a direct swap for the stock jelly jar is A1 Cardone part number 10-1897.

You have to reroute the tubing as it exits on the engine side. Be sure to use a 9/16"-18 x 3/16" tubing adapter in the rear port to adapt over to your stock 3/16" tubing. Most adapters you'll find are 20 threads per inch but you need the 18.

In the front port you'll need a 5/16 x 3/16" adapter. I'm not sure the pitch of these threads.

It is the same one Cobra sells with tubing for over $100.

In Houston they sell at O'Reilly's auto parts for $15 rebuilt with a one year warranty and a $10 core charge.

regards,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts