Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pat, anyone, what's your experience with align honing/boring the main caps? My new 250 is coming out of the machine shop this Friday and I had ARP main cap studs installed. I asked about align honing the caps afterwards and my machinist recommended that we go ahead and do it just to be certain everything was straight. I just assumed that it was the equivalent of resizing a connecting rod after installing ARP bolts...

I'm taking some heat about it from a good and well respected friend and wanted some more opinions. Are the any drawbacks I should have been aware of. It's already been dones but I just want to be aware of any weaknesses or problems I may have created. Thanks!

John

[color:blue]'68 Coupe
250/C4, 221 Argentine Head
Breakaway Converter, 9", 3.50's/T-lock</font color=blue>

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Although line-honing and line-boring are two different operations, I suspect your shop is going to line-hone your block after the studs are installed...

I routinely do this on all the engines I've built for racing....line honing corrects minor distortions of the bores, in this case caused by the modest torquing of the studs during installation in the block...

It will also correct minor bore centerline misalignments....a good operator can see after a few strokes if the hone will do the job or if the line boring machine is required. Generally, it is not.

They will remove a few thousanths from your main caps and then torque them down on the block and rehone the holes to the correct size...this moves the main bore CL only marginally closer (maybe .003" at the most) to the cam CL so timing chain or gear problems are usually nil. Also, trans CL alignment is usually within the tolerance stack although I routinely check this as well.

No problems, no concerns....tell your friend to cool off...*G*

Pat
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1570936&a=11937754&p=42910787.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THANK YOU PAT!

You're a good man /forums/images/icons/wink.gif I feel a lot better about this now. Yes, align honing was the process...

John

[color:blue]'68 Coupe
250/C4, 221 Argentine Head
Breakaway Converter, 9", 3.50's/T-lock</font color=blue>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts