Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
VMF Ambassador
6,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm going to be installing the Unisteer power R&P kit a couple weekends from now. My alignment is currently TERRIBLE. The outside tread of the wheels it's on is worn down to literally nothing and the inside tread looks almost new. I don't even know how the car drives in a straight line :loco: I've got way too much positive camber and probably too much toe-in as well (the poor pony is terribly pigeontoed! :p)

Obviously, my toe settings will get changed when the Unisteer rack goes in. My question is if I should take the car to get an alignment before to fix camber / caster problems, and then afterwards as well to set toe correctly? I'm not sure how much an alignment would cost for a vintage car (or even who to go to) so I would prefer to only get my alignment done once. I just recall reading somewhere on the forum that the rack would have to be dropped to adjust caster and camber after it has been installed? If that's the case, then maybe I need to get those two fixed before I put in the rack.

I know that caster / camber is set with shims and toe is set by adjusting the tie rod ends, but that's about it. I don't know the hows and whys of alignment so I don't know if the rack would affect anything. Any advice would be helpful :)

·
Premium Member
10,954 Posts
alignment it after. i worked as a mechanic for 10 years and dida lotta front end alignments. never align a the front suspension(or rear when its adjustable) until AFTER you are done working on it. restomod in progress huh ! well i'm a piece of work in progress !!!:shocked::shaking::shaking::shocked: from what i hear nowadays alotta guys dont know anything about shims. i would suggest asking other mustang people in your area if theres any where they go. i dont see why the rack has to dropped to do the caster/camber on the upper arm , that just doesnt make sense. the outside wear is usually do to hard cornering or lots of positive camber and even too much toe-in. if you get the caster/camber done now it might cost the same amount just to set the toe-in which is what will need to be set after you change to the r&p. as for aligment i recomend 0 camber , +2 caster , 1/16" "total toe in". do you know if your front suspension is in good condition. also there are shops that will try to scam people when it comes to front ends and telling you its wore out when its not. i dont like the R&P steering due to the awefull bump steer it causes. if you havent bought the r&p yet i would go with the Borgsen power steering box.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alrighty, thanks for the advice. Just wasn't sure if the rack would change circumstances or anything (though I see no reason for it to do so)

Bahaha, I swear this car's going to be in progress for the rest of its life. I can't keep my hands off of it. I've started piling up small projects and setting them to the side so when the car is officially 'done' I'll still have some things to work on when I get bored :p

·
Premium Member
10,954 Posts
Alrighty, thanks for the advice. Just wasn't sure if the rack would change circumstances or anything (though I see no reason for it to do so)

Bahaha, I swear this car's going to be in progress for the rest of its life. :p
uuhhhh thats the way it usually is !!! never finished , always doing something to them !!! i just had a roll cage installed 3 different times in my 65 !!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts