Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local shop says they don't have the specs in their computer to align my front end ( most shops don't) but said if I can get them, He can input them and do the alignment. trouble is, I switched out the old 289 for a 351w, and put stock springs for a 390. Therefore, stock alignment specs would do me no good, correct? And where would I find stock alignment specs, anyway? I'm really stuck here, and if someone has a solution, I would really apreciate hearing it. i just spent $400 on new tires, and I don't want to wreck them. Thanks to anyone who can help

1968 Mustang coupe, 351w ( my pride and joy!!!)

·
Vendor
1966 coupe and 1970 sportsroof
5,355 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
An engine change will in deed make a difference in the alignment. Any time you change the wieght in the front you will change it's ride height. And as soon as you do this it will change the camber fast! And then as soon as it changes the toe settings will be different as well. Those of you who own a Ford F-150 or 250 pickup with the twin I-beam front end should know that if you put 200 or 300 lbs in the back of the truck and drive from a few states and back you will cut the outside edges off of the tires. All because you changed the hieght of the front end! This is what I do for a living. I deal with this all the time. I'm sorry I can't help you with the specs right now. I'm on vacation and don't have any books here at home. Denver

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
The car will need an alignment, for sure, but he's asking if the values for the specs will be the same. I'm pretty sure the values are independent of your ride height. In other words, you have to adjust your alignment to match your ride height, not the other way around.

Great, now I've gone and made it more confusing.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
can not with authority inform you on alillgnment differences with engines etc. but the Shop Manual has alignment specs for the car - also they are in Osborne Manual. if needed send me PM and i will scan and e-mail them to you. ensure your e-mail address on profile.
IMHO the alignment should not be dependent on configuration unless you are racing but i am not expert. i believe specs in book will give flat across the tire wear pattern and for normal purposes you want that.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
It's highly unlikely that your shop did not have the specs. What is probable is that they just didn't want to do the job for what they'd make on it. For you see the little dears are something of a bear to align.. My guy, who I respect a great deal, spent two and a half hours getting Lolita aligned. For a flat $60. No money to be made there at all.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Camber 0 to -0.5 degrees. Caster 1.5 to 2.5 degrees. Toe-in 1/8 to 1/16. The first figures are easier set up and the second figure a tad more racier.
Forget factory spex, they are for bias-ply tires and grandma driving.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts