Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to know about them. Since I'm seriously thinking of shifting my 67 Gt 350 into the SAAC Hi-Performance Motors class, I might go without the Paxton, and go with the 68 GT 350 style air cleaner.
So, what are the differences. I've seen some with stamped lower shells/cast top. Seem some with two wing nuts, instead of one. Seen some with "Shelby" instead of "Cobra". I know the Shelby lettered one would have been out of the Cobra kit catalog.
Anyone help on this?? I'd rather just a 68 original one, if I can identify it correctly. Next would be a 67 GT 500 that someone converted to a single quad base.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
OK here we go. The top can be identified by several things. It must have all of these as some repros have some of them.
In the word "COBRA" the O is wider than taller and the R has a curved foot
The bottom side is a smooth non sand cast finish with a bunch of small casting circles the size of a pencil eraser
No casting or part #'s
If you look around the word COBRA you will see a faint casting outline of a rectangle. Sometimes it is hard to see or covered if repainted with several layers of wrinkle finish.
The base is stamped steel with a stamped impression of a diamond shape. On the front is stamped the word "FRONT". On the rear is a single 5/8" hose nipple.
There was a recall because the air cleaner loosened up in which they drilled a single hole to line up with the carb stud for the wing nut and 2 stainless plugs were inserted in the recessed holes. Most have this third hole in the middle but I have seen originals that never went back for recall.
These have gone through the roof recently, seems hard to even find a used one under 5 bills. Let me know if you need pics.

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Duh! Will do when I do your heater core soon... :highfive:

·
Registered
141 Posts
I always thought that the oval air cleaners on the 68's were the same as the 67's, meaning the 2 carb. holes for the dual carbs. & when the 68's came out with the single carb. all they did was drill the center hole for the single carb.& just plug the 67's holes with crome buttons.--S.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
IIRC the 67 tops have a part # (S7MS) cast in the bottom side of top. As far as the extra hole, the initial cars did not come with it. It was a repair covered in tech letter # 11 dated 3/14/68 stating the tops were turning and interfering with choke butterfly. Repair procedure involved bolt cutters and ball pein hammer so if the base of air cleaner doesn't look a little beat on its probably a later version or service replacement

1 - 6 of 6 Posts