Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So I bought the above gauges. In the instructions for the speedomter it says to "Connect to the corresponding White wire on the sending unit or the output of your transmission. (Connect the other speedometer sending unit wire to the ground, preferably to the same exact location as the gauge ground.)"

I have a T-5 from a 1993 GT, and when fitting it originally to the car we just used the standard speedo cable into the back of the 1966 cluster. Does anyone know if there was an electronic output on a 1993, or do I need to buy something like this to convert it?

Honestly, I hope I can convert as I have 3.73's and my speedo has been +10mph. These new gauges can calibrate speed over 1 mile of distance accurately, negating the need for a different tooth.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I think you will need a digital sending unit, as the T5 in the 80s was a plastic gear on a physical cable to the back of the speedo. I have a T5 and actually went to a GPS speedometer in my guage cluster so I could completely eliminate it all. I bought a block-off plug to seal off the T5 speedo hole opening. CJ Pony sells the sending unit for around $30 bucks. Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
11,419 Posts
Does anyone know if there was an electronic output on a 1993, or do I need to buy something like this to convert it?
According to Jegs website listing your kit included an electrical converter that plugs into the hole where the mechanical speedometer cable previously was.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
According to Jegs website listing your kit included an electrical converter that plugs into the hole where the mechanical speedometer cable previously was.
I must have missed that in the inventory list. Hopefully it's universal enough to work.

·
Registered
76 Posts
With my Intellitronix gauges, I used the GPS option. Was super simple and worked on first start.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
If you want to use the T5 speedo output, get the speedometer output from a 86 or 87 TBird Turbocoupe that had analog gauges. They have an electronic output and fit the T5 transmission. I used one on my FF Cobra and it worked well with the Classic Instruments electronic speedometer.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Now that I read your post a bit more carefully, are you saying you didn't receive this?

Even though I got the GPS, I still got one of these with my gauges. Id call them up if you didnt get one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts