Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
19,498 Posts
Okay, I guess it's time to make the announcement. I was waiting for the official press release to come out but I don't want to keep you in suspense any longer. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Here's an informal press release:

[color:blue]Hey All...

Are you up for some great fun and a chance to kick some Chevy butt?? The MCA and George Howard (B&M Shifter series bracket racing) are getting together to throw a huge event at Atlanta Dragway in Commerce, Georgia.

The event will take place September 27-29, with a two day Mustang/Ford show (with cash $$$ prizes & trophies), a one day (Saturday) Mustang & Ford only bracket race (Mr. Eliminator style with CASH prizes & trophy), and a two day Mustangs/Fords vs. ALL comers bracket race (again with CASH prizes).</font color=blue>

In case you've heard a nasty rumor to the effect that the Commerce, Georgia, MCA anniversary show isn't being held--it just ain't true. This is going to be one of the biggest bashes of the year with racing, shows, vendors, etc.

The official name of the event is: [color:red]The Southern Rumble: Mustangs vs. The World</font color=red>

A website is being put together with all the info and should be up soon: www.southernrumble.com

I'll try and keep everyone updated, but the best thing is keep checking for that website to become active as I'll be leaving for the GN on Sunday morning.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
The event will take place September 27-29

Of this year? Are you serious? They would wait until one month before the event to announce it and expect members from the west coast to be able to participate?

That's lame. I mean, we announced our club's show 6 months in advance, and I think we waited too long for it!!

·
Administrator
19,498 Posts
You bet it's lame and I'll tell you why it happened, despite the fact I'll probably get flamed by a few people once again.

The contract was signed for this event in February of this year by Tony Garcia and Randy Church, financially committing MCA. Despite the fact that Garcia is the publisher of Mustang Times, no mention of this event was ever made in the magazine--not even in the calendar of events! In July, both individuals, who were the co-chairmen of the committee for this event (formerly called the Fall Festival) resigned without ever doing any work or publicity for the event. If you want to know what I personally think happened, PM me, I won't put it on the forum considering my position on the board.

Since the MCA was financially committed to this event, whether it was held or not, a group of us stepped in to quickly put it together. Much thanks is owed to Mike Keown, who has put in many hours to get this event together.

Next year, believe me, there will be much advance publicity and the likelihood of it being held in another state. We would like to move it around the country.

So, we did the best we could with a very bad situation, and based on what I know is planned, this is going to be a great event for MCA. I wish I could attend, too, but I can't either.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
In July, both individuals, who were the co-chairmen of the committee for this event (formerly called the Fall Festival) resigned without ever doing any work or publicity for the event.

Just to clarify, did they resign from the committee or did they resign from their positions at the MCA?

I agree with Johnpro regarding the timeline but understand the politics so have no complaints to voice.....it would be nice to see other Mustangs at a race (most of my racing career was pretty lonely in that regard)...

You should still get a good local turnout though...

Good luck!

·
Administrator
19,498 Posts
They resigned from the committee (heck, they were the committee). They are still on the board.

The event is being promoted nationally, and we're getting some great responses. We already know that we'll have at least six cars that do 200+mph and there is a chance of having a few rocket cars (300+ mph) there, too.

G

·
0 Posts
Maybe someone should ask why would volunteers resign? Or was this the case? Far too much one sided view here and not all facts are presented.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Regarding the volunteers in question, there are a lot of politics going on at MCA right now, some of which Laurie has shared with us and some of which appropriately need to be kept quiet for the long-term health of the organization.
Suffice to say that the volunteers in question haven't been extremely popular of late. There are some good posts on the subject of the MCA in our archives. A perusal of them using the search engine should fill in some of the blanks.

As a fair number of VMF'ers are MCA members (I'm not), I've seen good support for Laurie and her efforts at MCA over the past months...I hope she continues in that vein.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts