Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not see this posted elsewhere and I thought it was interesting.

Cover of the latest Hot Rod reads
"Finally you can buy an all steel 69 Camaro in a crate. '67 Mustangs are next. Street Machines will live forever."

In the backgound is a grey primered 69 Camaro in a crate.

According to the article, they will begin taking official orders around the 1st part of 2005. Cost will be around $12k for convertible shells and a few thousand more for a coupe. Complete cars using the steel shell will be around $40k. 115 people so far have commited to buy.

Longer term projects include the 69 Mach 1 and 70' Cuda, probably in that order. They will be distributed through dealers of Dynacorn. Classic Industries is one of their distributors. There is only a mention that they are coming soon on Dynacorn's site.

They mentioned how these shells could be used to complete a car or you can create one from the shell.

Any thoughts on how this could impact the hobby? Good or bad?

K

·
0 Posts
Well I guess that's good news that our classics will be reborn.
But now won't they all be clones? :: :D

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Don't you love it. They'll make the whole car, but you can't get anyone to make a friggin cowl panel! Cowl leaks would be a lot simpler to fix if I could just rip off the old panel and have a new one to put back. But no, I have to carefully drill out 378 spot welds so I can put the same panel back.

·
Registered
471 Posts
:Dthis is the 4th time i've seen this let it rest we know what we have all those guys will wish thay still had ours instead of clones. ::

·
Registered
580 Posts
Now hold on just a second. Every other post on this subject has stated the shells would be fiberglass. This is the first time I have heard of steel. So which is it.

Lstar

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Hard to imagine what the CA smog laws and the DMV will do with that concept. ::

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
California law already provides that newly registered kit cars -- "1966" Cobras, "1932" Fords, "1941" Willys, etc. -- are to be titled as the year they most resemble, and must comply with the smog regs applicable to those years. Smog gear of course has not been a problem for '32's and such, but it might be a pain in the bazoo for a '69 Camaro or a '70 Cuda. My guess is you'd need to have the smog pump, etc., in place to get the car registered, but you would thereafter be exempt from Smog Check. ("Thereafter" meaning until they repeal the pre-'75 exemption. :()

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
California law already provides that newly registered kit cars -- "1966" Cobras, "1932" Fords, "1941" Willys, etc. -- are to be titled as the year they most resemble, and must comply with the smog regs applicable to those years. Smog gear of course has not been a problem for '32's and such, but it might be a pain in the bazoo for a '69 Camaro or a '70 Cuda. My guess is you'd need to have the smog pump, etc., in place to get the car registered, but you would thereafter be exempt from Smog Check. ("Thereafter" meaning until they repeal the pre-'75 exemption. :()

Wow...I didnt know that.

I'm shocked at such sensible legislation!!!

Ive said before.....I wouldnt mind having a smog pump and a thermal air cleaner on my motor.....the pump doesnt really tap what Id consider an appreciable amount of power, and Ford air cleaner snorkels are big enough to feed most street motors (and shakers will flow even more).

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, I could not find any posts on this. Sorry, I did check first and I just got my Hot Rod mag on Saturday so I thought this was new news. Apparently not.

Every other post on this subject has stated the shells would be fiberglass. This is the first time I have heard of steel. So which is it.
Per the article it is steel They talk about it not being cheap Chinese steel. Quoted in the article " If General Motors put 12 welds in the wheel wells, then the new body will have 12 welds there". they are attempting to make the bodies as original as possible to help with getting the manufacturers to buy in so they can call the cars by their original name.

They are in talks with GM about licensing the bodys. They will have to approve it before it can be called a Camaro. The same will hold true for Ford and Chrysler. Also quoted. " At worst, the lack of a GM license will require a new name, similar to what Carroll Shelby has required of the kit-roadster industry."

Sounds interesting, but who knows if it would catch on.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I read the same article today and was going to submit a post tonight about it but you beat me to it. I don't recall a post about this before either. I hope it doesn't cause the value to drop on the real cars. I wonder what they do about a vin number?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts