Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Delaware is also the only state that rivets the numbers onto a flat plate blank.

Frank

·
Registered
915 Posts
Interesting, So basically you would want to know what consecutive # was used in or around when your car was built and that would suffice for a correct plate.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I wish NC would allow us to transfer tag numbers to other people. I have a friend who had "BOSSHOSS" on his license plate for years. He took the car off of the road and turned in the tag (as is required here).

I found out about it just a couple of days later and ran into the DMV to see if I could get it for myself but someone had already taken it. First come, first served in NC.

·
Registered
182 Posts
That must have changed. When I was in my early 20's I sold my 73 Z28. The license plate said "No Mercy". The guy gave me and extra $200 for the plate. Maybe it was because we were transferring the title as well....wish I still had that car.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Geez, I have two sets in the back of my truck that came off mustangs that I bought. I thought they were maybe worth $50. What is the going rate?

·
Registered
887 Posts
You are correct...... however that was only from 1958/1962 & 1962/1968.

Two different versions... first one did not have the slogan "The First State" printed on them. Only Delaware across the bottom. It still had the tabs for the metal inspection tags.

The second riveted version had no slots, Delaware was moved to the bottom of tag and the slogan was added to the top.

Just thought I would share a tid bit of info.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
I wish NC would allow us to....
Only through a family member can a personalized plate be transferred.

North Carolina does have a neat little law on the books that allows you to run an "era" plate on vehicles over 30-35 years old.

I have an old red & white NC '68 plate that I used to run on my '68 FB. All you have to do is throw the real plate under the front seat/trunk. There is NO paper trail for using the old vintage plates, so no worries if you blow through a traffic camera light (not that I would do this anyway).

Dave

·
Registered
561 Posts
You're right and I love that regulation. I've got a reproduction '67 tag on my car. Problem is that the manufacturer of the tag only allowed seven letters and there's no way to get "BOSSHOSS" to look right with less than 8 letters.

I have a '67 tax tag on the front bumper to complete the look.

I also carry a copy of the code allowing me to run vintage tags folded up alongside my valid NC tags in the trunk. Lots of cops out there aren't aware of that regulation and guys in my club have been pulled over for not running valid tags.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts