0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For everyone who's clamoring about having the old post jump back to
the top, thinking that's the solution to all problems, let's put some logic
into this:

The old post to the top may be great for the fortunate few who happen
to get a question answered quickly; for everyone else who posts and
there's no one immediately available to answer their question, they
might as well be talking to themselves. Think about it: Let's say you post a question at 11:30. At lunchtime, a bunch of people (let's say20) get on and, starting chronologically from the last place they left off in the forum, answer 5 different questions each. That's 100 questions right there that are going to immediately jump to the top. Is it likely that those 20 people are now going to go back and see what "new" posts they missed by answering the previous posts? No. Therefore, the person who just asked the newest question is buried 5/10/15 pages back in no time, with no possible hope for an answer (really: who's going to go back 15 pages to answer questions?).

That is a quick way to lose new people and new questions real quick, not to mention there's absolutely no way to keep a chronological scenario to the forum. If someone goes back a week or two to figure out the stuff they missed and decides to post to "Hey, who wants to buy a GT500 KR?", then that junk is going to go straight back to the top, appearing like a 'new' post.

Old post to the top is great only for the single person who posted - that means they don't have to 'look' for their post. How dreadful that would be..imagine the nerve! Not only do you have to wait for someone to share their free advice, but then you might have to go back a page or two to find the answer instead of having it conveniently placed at the head of everything else.

Old post to the top is very selfishly individual oriented at the expense of the rest of the posters in the forum.

Visit my homepage for Repair info, with pictures!
http://home.dencity.com/mustangcub

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
I think we should at least try it longer than 2 days. I mean the first 2 days were crazy. It's still not settled down completely. Then we vote. BTW, I have my brower set at 75 post per page so all of those post wouldn't be a problem. It's not bad even on my slow 24,000bps home connection.

My car and the VMF parking lot are at: http://www.geocities.com/Bishir1/FrontPage.html

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
I am all for you voicing your support for your stance. It's fair and excellent to share your opinion. But please make sure you word it correctly.

Post = Reply to a Thread.
Thread = What you started the posting with.

Just want to eliminate confusion on this because Bob has worded his Poll correctly and people still do not get it.

[email protected]
1967 351W Convertible
2000 Mustang GT
Please bring back last post to top!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But, not the part about
"Old post to the top is very selfishly individual oriented at the expense of the rest of the posters in the forum."
IMHO it helps more than just the individual who started the Thread. It helps everyone that was just following along or "lurking". Often I may just read a great Thread and learn a lot of information I was unaware of, so by Poping to the Top it brings topics back up to individuals attention so they can check out the new "revelations" that someone just made.

As I said before I prefer Pop to the Top, but it is way more important for myself just to have access to this forum and I will be very happy when this all settles down and we get back to the tech info, the flamingo info, and other more interesting stuff:)

TJ
66 coupe 302 2v c4 -daily driver
94 GT vert -SWMBO's
93 Aerostar - hauling stuff
50 Mercury Pickup - waiting to be restored, stored back home

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
It is not selfish at all. In fact it helps the board as a group out because common questions are not threaded and re-threaded. How many people saw my thread on Image Hosts the first time? Certainly something everyone should read and consider. This versus how many people only saw it and knew about it because I posted it to ANOTHER image thread!

[email protected]
1967 351W Convertible
2000 Mustang GT

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
either way, people do not search before they post (i am also guilty)

John L. Anschutz
Allen, TX
68 Diamond Blue Coupe - 302
68 Acapulco Blue Coupe - I6 - 200

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
see you get it. That's why it needs to be near the top.

Exploding Tanks, Exploding Tanks, Exploding Tanks, Exploding Tanks, Exploding Tanks, Exploding Tanks, Exploding Tanks, Exploding Tanks, Exploding Tanks, Exploding Tanks, Exploding Tanks, Exploding Tanks...

Don't forget new Threads will still be at the top too... the other method is actually a compromise.

[email protected]
1967 351W Convertible
2000 Mustang GT

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tennessee has some valid points. I was a Pop to Top advocate till he showed me the light! BUT, if there was a way to have a viewers option in our edit profile to sort either "Pop to Top" or "Current/Date" order, that might realy work to satisfy everyone. What do you guys think?

Proud Owner of a 1969 Mach 1

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
As Bob has pointed out... it's one way or the other for everyone. There is hope that the new wwwThreads will allow it but I seriously doubt it. It is very rare for a forum to function this way so there is likely little or no demand for it. Perhaps this 'not to the top' method won't even be in the next wwwThreads...

What will you all do then? Maybe buy color TVs /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

[email protected]
1967 351W Convertible
2000 Mustang GT

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Anyone can pull up a list of their posts in their profile....if they haven't received any answers (as evidenced by e-mail they have received), they can just post a " hey, any ideas" post to their thread and bump it back up...

There are far more questioners here than answerers so I imagine that they will rule...

As an answerer primarily, it will make my life much easier for informational posts to go to the top....I can find an old thread, bump it up as a reply with added commentary and solicitations for more...

The point will likely be moot if folks use the search engine first but I don't see that happening any time soon....I've been using it ever since Bob first posted the new forum and am keywording my answers to easily find them...

It'll all work out in the end...

Pat
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1570936&a=11937754&p=42910787.jpg

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Doesn't the little sun on the left mean there is a new post? If so, isn't that similar to what we had before with the "new" indicator to the side. It really doesn't matter to me one way or the other. There are good and bad points to each way. I will just learn to surf the VMF with which ever style Bob decides to go with. I never thought we would have such a battle over this. I just hope this whole debate doesn't cause people to leave because of hurt feelings or disgust.

If it ain't broke, you're not trying hard enough
Josh
64 1/2 Coupe

http://www.geocities.com/jpony645/josh.html

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
with the old-post-to-top scenario, i had already decided I would only be able to look at the forum once a day because it would be WAY to time consuming to search over post after post and read through stuff i already looked at.

the best way would be to revert back to the newsgroup style where once you read the message it's off your list. then, you can just receive new messages as they are posted.

Charles Turner
MCA Gold Card Judge(64.5-65, 66)
'65 Fastback
'00 GT Conv, triple black

Check out my 65 [color:blue]fastback!</font color=blue>

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I agree 100% On the second day of the forum I asked a question regarding Windsor heads. I have my settings at 60 posts per page. Within 15 minutes the post was on page 2. Within an hour it was so burried it got one response. There were many others that didn't even get the one.

I think you'd not only loose new posters, but would get fewer answers from the old farts.

With the "pop to top" option, I fear the only way to be sure to get an answer would be to make it controversial enough to make it keep popping to the top ... and that's not a good thing.

If you always do what you've always done,
You'll always get what you've always got

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
All you had to do is post to your thread a second time something like "no one knows?" --- this is a widely accepted method of bringing up unanswered posts. I don't think anyone should base their judgements of the to the top feature on the first 30 hours of the new boards existance. It was supposed to be a test phase so there was a lot of "I'm here" "My new screen name" etc. type posts.

Fewer threads also makes searching easier... and it puts more information together. The current system reminds me of visiting my great aunt. I remember visiting her once after Thanksgiving. Everyone was involved in the conversation and it kept moving along except for the 8 or so times she asked if we had turkey for Thanksgiving. This is what's happening here. And as more and more people migrate over from the classifieds we are going to be burried with repetitive posts.

[email protected]
1967 351W Convertible
2000 Mustang GT

1 - 15 of 15 Posts