Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still trying to track down a bad shimmy in the front end. I measured the outside rim on all four tires on the same hub and may have found the problem. First wheel was .030", second .065", third .110" and fourth .090". The last three seem awfully high to me, could this be my source of shimmy? I put the best two up front and had them both balanced and that helped but the shimmy is still there. How much runout should I expect from used wheels and how much from a set of new wheels such as some Magnum 500s or Torque Thrust II?
Micah

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Radial tires can also have belt problems that can't be solved by balancing. I would try an alternate set of tires and see if it solves your problem.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Lateral or radial runout in excess of .030 is cause for concern. In new wheels with machined surfaces all measurements should be within .010 of true - Though you won't even feel them until they approach .050 - .060 or more. Fabricated steel wheels are harder to measure due to paint thickness variations and welds. But one thing's for sure - if you can easily see runout, it's too much.

Your shimmy is likely caused by alignment or loose front end parts. Keep looking -

1 - 5 of 5 Posts