Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Alluminum Heads on the street?

947 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Shaun @ Street or Track 
#1 ·
If I run alluminum heads on a 331 Stroker, and use it as a daily driver, would I encounter any problems? If I use a high quality head gasket?

#5 ·
Maybe it is just me but I've run two 5.0 aluminum head engines on the street and both ran a little hotter than the iron head equivalent. I think aluminum transfers more combustion heat into the coolant quicker than iron, which means that the cooling system has to take up the slack. It's not a problem, just something to be aware of simply because you would not want an inadaquate cooling system jepordize those beautiful new heads...

G
#6 ·
Aluminum does transfer more heat to the coolant, thats good or bad depending on how you look at it. Bad, it raises your coolant temp and in extreme cases may require a better radiator. Good, because it transfers more heat theres less heat in the combustion chamber, less likelyhood of detonation occuring and it gives the ability to run a bit more compression than you would with an iron head as a result of these properties. Dont forget the weight loss over your front wheels too. Oh and they look trick!!!!!

G
#7 ·
Checked out your page. Question, why the V-8 in the SVO? My '86 screams(13.90's in the 1/4) & gets well over 25 MPG. Is this something that's getting popular in the '84/86 SVO"s? BTW I think you're correct on the heads, my Blue Thunders are a little hotter but I just figured it was better dissapation as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.