Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, Took a little time to get to seal my tranny. As you may recall I had much trouble getting somebody to seal the known leaks around town. They wanted to tear down the whole tranny and charge me up the wazoo to do what I just done in my garage....go figure.

Tomorrow I buy 10qts of oil and I'm set! Which brings me to a question: The current filter, after inspection, appears to be no more than a simple screen held by pressure stamp housing.....Why can't I just clean in with Acetone or something to where the wire mesh is free of debris? Sure I can just buy one and should not cost more than 5 bucks, but question still stands.....It just looks quite simple.

thanks, Jaime

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
There is another seal under the filter that should also be replaced. For the low cost I recommend replacing the filter screen and you can sleep better at night...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Ray. I double checked the valve body and filter...I don't see another seal like you have indicated. The filter has 9 small, but long bolts. When these are removed the filter comes down in one piece..there is no other removable part on the valve body or filter.....Where am I missing it??

Jaime

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Its been years since I'v had one apart but I was sure there was a seal (or gasket)l between the filter and valve body if I am wrong then I stand corrected...

·
Registered
522 Posts
There was no seal between the valve body and filter when I did mine, but I wouldn't take that as hard evidence. There was no replacement seal in the overhaul kit I purchased either, so that may be a good indicator.

Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts