Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my plan for my car, please read it and give me your opinions and comments on EVERYTHING from brand of parts, what not to do, EVERYTHING.

I will be done replacing my full length floor boards, rear floor extensions, Front floor to fire wall pans, Inner and outer wheel wells on both sides, trunk floor(ALL) 1/4 panel patches, front apron (battery), front cross member and RAD support In the next week or so. I just have to finish up the trunk and get the RAD support on. Once I am done I will be stripping the paint off all the body panels (the panels to be painted the exterior color) with chemical stripper and sanding the tuff stuff. After I am done stripping the paint off I will be priming the body for I will be doing the body work later.

QUESTION 1: Should I use a 2 part epoxy primer or a self etching primer?

After the exterior panels are primed I will be putting the car up on my rottissery (how do you spell that). By the way everything is unbolted from the car, EVERYTHING!!! I will be sandblasting the engine compartment, undercarriage and interior. I know not to blast any body panels cause it causes the metal to warp. After I am done blasting everything i will clean all (or as much as humanly possible) the sand out of the car clean it up with marine clean apply metal ready then brush POR15 on the undercarriage and interior and spray POR15 in the engine compartment. After 2 coats or POR15 I will do all of my seam sealing and bondo work (smoothing out some rough metal) then apply 2 coats of blackcoat. I decided to go with blackcoat instead of the chassis black because i wanted a glossy look. So when I am done with that the parts of the car that you don't see or that don't get painted silver(exterior color) will be POR-ED and all the parts the will receive silver paint will be in primer.

QUESTION 2: Is this the correct order to do things?

At that point I will be installing my suspension. I am going to be ordering Mustang Plus's Super restoration Kit that includes their Grab-a-track suspension Kit (Front and rear sway bars, front 620 springs rear 4 leaf springs, shocks, shackles, Upper and lower control arms, spring perches, steering rebuild kit and all hardware to attach) It seem to be a good deal.

QUESTION 3: has anyone used the Grab-a-track suspension components, What was the quality like, handling, ride harshness?

I am going to be running 17x8 torq thrust II's I am wanting to have my car ride like a stock fox body or even a newer GT, I understand they are 2 different cars but thats the only thing I have to compare to. As for brakes I am using 77' granada spindles, backing plates and rotors with 2002 mustang GT aluminum PBR calipers (I already have the brackets made to mount them up) and in the rear im going with Lincon rear calipers (already have the mounting brackets also) I have not yet decided on a MC but have been looking at the 15/16 or 7/8 bore off of a crown vic. I believe.... the brakes aren't till after the paint anyway so i have some time. Motor is a 289 with stage 2 ported heads, edelbrock performer intake, edelbrock 600cfm carb, 3/4 race cam (installed by uncle so i don't know the lift and duration) backed by a 4-spd toploader going into a 8" w/ richmond 4.11 posi. Once all of that is in place I will begin striping the fiberglass panels from the interior and painting them install the interior and get everything working. Then its done........ until I decide to go with the power windows, AC, etc, etc, etc. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Basically I am asking EVERYONE for their opinion and for their comments good or bad on my plan for the car, this is my first restoration and want it to turn out as good as I can make it. I have already had a ton of help from this forum and probably could not have done this restoration without it. Thank You everyone!

P.S. Sorry about going on and on, I am really bad about putting questions into words with enough detail on forums.

Basicaly I am asking EVERYONE for their opnion and for their comments good or bad on my plan for the car, this is my first restoration and want it to turn out as good as I can make it. I have already had a ton of help from this forum and probaly could not have done this restoration without it. Thank You everyone!

P.S. Sorry about going on and on, I am really bad about putting questions into words with enough detail on forums.

Thanks again,
Jason

G

·
0 Posts
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

QUESTION 1: Should I use a 2 part epoxy primer or a self etching primer?

<hr></blockquote>

I would go with the two part epoxy. Firstly it will provide a seal until the final paint is applied. Secondly, from my limited knowledge of paint, If you go with two part paint on the exterior, you should stay with two part for the primer. Thirdly, you should etch bare metal with metal prep anyway.

My opinion of POR-15 is that I would only use it on severly rusty parts that you cannot otherwise save. Its too darn hard to get off when future work is needed. I would spray (or brush) 2 part epoxy primer, seam seal, undercoat.

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

QUESTION 2: Is this the correct order to do things?

At that point I will be installing my suspension....

<hr></blockquote>

Well, in a perfect world, you would paint the car first. Its sort of hard to get it to the painters though. You'll get overspray on the suspension, but it only matters if you care.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will be painting the car myself (with the help of my uncle) so i will make sure everything is masked off real good.

Thanks for the info,
Jason

·
Registered
933 Posts
I believe you will be fine. My 66 vert project progressed in the same manner. Once the floors, trunk, frame rails etc. were welded in place and the welds were ground I applied a two part epoxy primer to the undercarriage, trunk and interior compartment. I then seam sealed (including all welds). I then applied chassis black. Looks great. We are now hanging the suspension.

Scott

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Relative to #3. Kits are nice if you want to get everything in one part number, but not necessarily the best. Mostly average suspension parts.

Global West or TCP arms are better (personal preference is GW). CobraAuto bushed spring perch is better (and smoother). TCP's adjustable strut rod is one of the best. Edelbrock IAS, Koni's, Spax, or Carrera shocks are the hot setup.

Just my $0.02. Bob.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts