Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am about finished with my dual MC conversion and complete brake line redo. I have a few quick questions. First one, how should I route the rear brake line through the proportioning valve? Should it go from the master cylinder through the distribution block then the P. valve and then to the brakes...or P. valve to the distribution block and then to the brakes? And also my #2 question (this one is what the photo is for). Where have you guys with 66's mounted the proportioning valve? I was thinking of mounting it like seen in the photo. What did you use to mount it? Mine didn't come with any screws so I will have to go buy some "custom" home depot screws to mount it with.

Other than the routing and mounting questions that's it, I'm done. Now I just hope I got everything right and she stops on command because I have a feeling troubleshooting would not be fun. :)

http://www.members.cox.net/outlawboss/images/mcyl_01.JPG

G

·
0 Posts
The proportioning valve goes in the line to the rear brakes, "after" the distribution block.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
As mentioned already you want it after the distribution block. The reson for this is that you want the pressure between the front and rear circuits equal inside the distribution block; if you mounted it before the distribution block then the slider inside the distribution block would move towards the rear circuit's side every time you pressed on the brake pedal.

John Harvey

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I will keep that in mind. Now I just have to decide where the heck I'm going to mount this valve. Sheesh you would think it should be such a hard decision. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
I would mount it right where you have it taped right now. Go fromthe MC to the distribution vlock, then use a short "U" shaped line from the distribution block to the valve, and then the regular back line connected to the valve. That way you can get to it easy to adjust, you will be able to get to the mounting bolt and nut easily, and the back line can probably just be rebent slightly to go to it instead of the distribution block (or add a short section tothe back line if you need to).

John Harvey

1 - 5 of 5 Posts