Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to look at a '68 Cougar XR-7 F-code (302-2V) today down in Connecticut. The car runs, but needs a new brake master cylinder. The interior is pretty much perfect, except for the carpet and some padding on the lower dash. Unfortunately, the cowl leaks on both sides and, of course, the floors and torque boxes both need replacement. Other than that, the car is still wearing it's original paint, everything in the engine compartment is intact (except the A/C doesn't work). The quarters have rust along the lower edges and the trunk drop-offs are totally shot. The vinyl top looks perfect.

The seller was asking $3,500 and I offered $2,000 cash on the spot. He refused to go below $3K. The car would have been worth it if it were a Mustang coupe but not for a Cougar that needs cowl and floor repairs. The market value just isn't there. Since he wouldn't budge, I walked away from it. Too bad, though, it was a car that would have made for a nice driver when it was done.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Unfortunately most people think they have something of immense value, actually they do if the cars were restored or nice originals. They don't realize the cost incurred to make them nice again...

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately, this guy knows better. He has a restored Cougar of his own and a small, private junkyard of Cougars and Mustangs in the woods behind his house. He's currently restoring a '67 Cougar standard coupe and a '69 Mustang convertible. Basically, he's counting on someone coming along who won't know to check the floors and the cowl and then he'll get his $3K because the car looks good otherwise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts