Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Hey Guys

I need your advise. I have a badly corroded wiring harness on my ford tempo. 1990 . I puchased a replcement connector to replace the badly
corroded orginal. when I removed the original I found the female plug connections in the alternator rotted away. It seems that you cannot buy a replacement. only a brand new
alternator ..........as pictured in the link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380670861327?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

<table id="LPContainer_14941309537200.658616726855224" role="presentation" style="width: 90%; overflow: auto; padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom: 20px; margin-top: 20px; border-top-color: rgb(200, 200, 200); border-bottom-color: rgb(200, 200, 200); border-top-width: 1px; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-top-style: dotted; border-bottom-style: dotted; position: relative; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr valign="top" style="border-spacing: 0px;"><td id="ImageCell_14941309537250.7021743868465895" style="width: 250px; padding-right: 20px; display: table-cell; position: relative;" colspan="1">
</td><td id="TextCell_14941309537360.039256390921010686" style="padding: 0px; vertical-align: top; display: table-cell; position: relative;" colspan="2">
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_light]1988-1990 FORD TEMPO, MERCURY TOPAZ 2.3L ALTERNATOR REMAN | eBay

www.ebay.com
Do you have a hard to find part? No problem! | eBay!
</td></tr></tbody></table>

I can remove the harness plug which is only bolted on with a plastic cap on the bolt top,

Would this not be a three wire alternator set up. Could I not just trash the harness , crimp eyelets on all three wires leading to the harness and bolt these to the only post on the alternator?
All three wires in the black harness must merge thru the plastic to the metal contact bolting to the post.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alternator-Connector-Dorman-85123-/371567526482?fits=Make%3AFord%7CModel%3ATempo&hash=item5683268252:m:mzsZ-tHYaSB8zb-LWva1uTw&vxp=mtr

Warmly
Lawrence

[/FONT]

·
Administrator
19,411 Posts
Looks like a 2G to me. As such you would have the connector for the I(gnition), S(tator), and A(rmature) up top that must be connected properly or it won't work.
The big terminal is usually one big wire to the battery positive terminal. On the way to the battery it might stop by the starter solenoid and have other wires tacked onto it. If you are say that instead of one big fat wire you have three more modestly sized wires there, then sure. Tie them all together because that's what's going on there anyway.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like a 2G to me. As such you would have the connector for the I(gnition), S(tator), and A(rmature) up top that must be connected properly or it won't work.
The big terminal is usually one big wire to the battery positive terminal. On the way to the battery it might stop by the starter solenoid and have other wires tacked onto it. If you are say that instead of one big fat wire you have three more modestly sized wires there, then sure. Tie them all together because that's what's going on there anyway.

Thanks 'GypsyR'

Yes I have two moderate 10-12 gauge wires and one smaller than that. I used a multi meter and tested continuity. Two wires give connection to the battery post hole washer. They have their own plastic compartment plug and have connectivity to themselves. The third small guage has it own compartment and no connectivity to anything. I don't think theirs a diode inside, or maybe its fried. I will try to hook up eyelets and try ....will report back. Why cant it be my mustang!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Just buy a new regulator/brush older assy and install it in your old alternator.

John

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys

Well I attempted my eyelet connectors to the Alternator. Hooked the battery up stated the engine and a few seconds later a loud POP. And smoke rising from the battery area, also minor cigarette amount of smoke from the alternator.

So I had no more functional black box connector and the only way was to buy a new alternator to get one. So after hooking up the alternator and plugging in the plug marked S I A. and leaving the black box unconnected I run the engine with only 12 volts result. Even if I touch the wires back to the correct black box connector wires I still only receive 12 volts.

So I fried something. I noticed a started solenoid on the wall near the battery smoke area.

A> but if that was damaged I would not get signal continuity as I do thru the solenoid and also the car would not start right?

B> This modern car has the Voltage regulator built into the alternator correct? I find no V regulator on the firewall?

·
Administrator
19,411 Posts
Yes it has the regulator internally. Sounds like you hooked one of your big positive wires to ground and blew the fusible link out of it. You can generally find the burnt link by feeling and pulling on the wire for a weak or soft place. Sometimes they will burn through the insulation so you can spot them easily. Sometimes it's just internal so have to look harder. Check for continuity on all one by one to start the hunt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts