Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Dimples
4,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious to see what you may have seen or done for a different kind of scoop.

For my case, I’m most interested in 65-66 applications, but it’d be cool to see on other years too. Doing an image search, it’s mostly Shelby scoops (65-67), including my car.

I’ve seen some 69 scoops used on other years, an occasional Boss 429, but what other options are worth considering? Early Fox body? 07ish Mustang? Maybe something from another make/model entirely or something aftermarket?

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Blake, I've always liked the scoops that came factory on the 69 M1, I think its the best factory offering,.......BUT,......and this is the reason I purchased a spare......What if you sectioned the scoop and made it about 1/2 or 5/8 taller, but keep the factory appearance as much as you can. It'd look factory, only better, and be very subtle. Your buddies car looks like it came that way ! Awesome work ! When I am done with a dozen other projects I have going, I want to section and raise one of mine. Just an idea in my head, so no pics yet. LSG

·
Dimples
4,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What if you sectioned the scoop and made it about 1/2 or 5/8 taller, but keep the factory appearance as much as you can. It'd look factory, only better, and be very subtle.
Interesting idea. I can see that working. You should hurry up and do that so we can see the results. :D

·
Registered
767 Posts
I once saw a guy who used a mailbox..... That’s different.

Reactions: 66coupe289

·
Premium Member
11,808 Posts
I have a large oval Cobra air cleaner on my '65. I have an all fiberglass (no steel frame) hood with the Shelby style scoop molded in at the factory. I need a larger scoop so I bought this:

It is taller and wider than the Shelby scoop but it is also shorter which is NOT what I need. So I have added 6" to the length with fiberglass mat and resin. I will be cutting the Shelby scoop out of the hood next week and adding this one.
20200626_182814.jpg

·
Registered
10,850 Posts
I have this on at the moment
21616317_1791656387529536_328694277654513361_n.jpg

I also have a broken 67 Shelby style glass hood I need to fix
But I can't say I haven't thought about grafting one of these

·
Registered
10,850 Posts
I have a large oval Cobra air cleaner on my '65. I have an all fiberglass (no steel frame) hood with the Shelby style scoop molded in at the factory. I need a larger scoop so I bought this:

It is taller and wider than the Shelby scoop but it is also shorter which is NOT what I need. So I have added 6" to the length with fiberglass mat and resin. I will be cutting the Shelby scoop out of the hood next week and adding this one. View attachment 760791
happen to have a how to on your glass extension work ? as mentioned I have a 67 style Shelby glass hood I bought in 3 pieces. probably an easy fix ,I've been in procrastination mood on

·
Premium Member
11,808 Posts
happen to have a how to on your glass extension work ?
Extremely scientific and technical!
I took a piece of poster board, "formed" it to the underside of the scoop extending out the front and laid fiberglass mat and resin on it. Then lots of sanding.
20200618_093301.jpg

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Ring Brothers composite hood with carbon fiber scoop. It's pricey, but my paint guy said it was the best fitting aftermarket hood he'd ever seen.

-Shannon

Reactions: latoracing

·
Registered
460 Posts
My alternative. Can't get air in if you can't get it out.
What are you using for spacers to lift the rear?

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
I talk about here:

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
My alternative. Can't get air in if you can't get it out.
View attachment 760943
I have thought for sometime that I wish someone would do a cowl type hood for these with only about an inch or so of the center section, feature line to feature line. That way you could have the back of the hood raised for air extraction without the sides gapped and without looking too raised, more stock looking than the cowl setups that are out there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts