Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi VMF

I had a quick question on how I go about wiring my alternator
I currently have one that has 3 wires but messed up i think it was like 55 amp I got a 100 amp one but its a one wire .

Do I remove the regulator and just run a wire from battery terminal to the alternator

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
762 Posts
Couldn't PowerMaster help you?

Here's a link to their alternator instruction sheets. We don't know your model number.
Alternators

·
Registered
762 Posts
The set of instructions that I last posted say:
"Run a new 8 AWG stranded wire suitable for automotive use from the alternator to the positive post of the battery or the battery side
of the starter relay. Be sure this wire is secured in the engine compartment and out of the way of moving parts. Your speed shop has
Powermaster charge wires for this purpose. The Powermaster charge wire should be used in place of the OE. If the vehicle has an
external voltage regulator, this should be unplugged.
Note that this Powermaster alternator is a “one wire” alternator. This means that it only requires the battery cable to operate. Additional wires connected to the alternator provide optional features such as charging system indicator light function but are not required."

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The set of instructions that I last posted say:
"Run a new 8 AWG stranded wire suitable for automotive use from the alternator to the positive post of the battery or the battery side
of the starter relay. Be sure this wire is secured in the engine compartment and out of the way of moving parts. Your speed shop has
Powermaster charge wires for this purpose. The Powermaster charge wire should be used in place of the OE. If the vehicle has an
external voltage regulator, this should be unplugged.
Note that this Powermaster alternator is a “one wire” alternator. This means that it only requires the battery cable to operate. Additional wires connected to the alternator provide optional features such as charging system indicator light function but are not required."

Yeah its that one so looks like one wire to the battery terminal thanks bro

·
Registered
762 Posts
Yeah its that one so looks like one wire to the battery terminal thanks bro
Happy to help. I know how it can be when you're trying to do something new and you're just not sure. A little positive affirmation goes a long way. Good Luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I have one more question I took off my voltage regulator off because I dont think I need it and I had to cut three wires that were connected to it is that fine here is a photo

Attachments

·
Registered
762 Posts
You should call PowerMaster in the morning. I'm guessing that this is actually a GM 1-wire alternator and not a Ford 3G. I could guess that it's got an internal solid state regulator but I'm unfamiliar with this one and I just don't know the particulars. PowerMaster should confirm the details for you.

·
Registered
497 Posts
If it is the same Powermaster as I got a decade ago it does not need an external regulator.

Mine has been ok and predictable but not overwhelming.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts