Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Alternator Choice-3g

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  mikeyhunts 
#1 ·
Didn’t want to hijack the other threads on this subject.... so thought I would start another at the advise of one poster.

I bought a black serpentine kit bracket from CVF as I had No brackets and had to start somewhere.
I’m building a Cleveland , alternator only....

I thought what the heck, and just clicked on their black 1 wire 140a alternator....

I was Reading those other threads and it got me to thinking that maybe I could have made a better choice. I am thinking about just sending this one back and buying a true newer ford 3G in black.

Any thoughts about the one that I bought and the preference to update to the newer 3G style? Who’s 3G model would you buy aftermarket in black? Or is what I have just fine? I hear the 3g variety charges better at lower rpm.
Advise appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, that's a Chevy-type Delco alternator. Many folks here use those and like them just fine. Pluses are that they are indeed simple to wire and install. Also they kinda sorta resemble the original Ford alternator a bit. At least more so than a 3G. And...well, you've got it there in your hand.

As for setting it up, others will have to help. I'm a Ford 1G-3G-4G guy and I don't really do Delcos.

#3 ·
Well, that's a Chevy-type Delco alternator. Many folks here use those and like them just fine. Pluses are that they are indeed simple to wire and install. Also they kinda sorta resemble the original Ford alternator a bit. At least more so than a 3G. And...well, you've got it there in your hand.

As for setting it up, others will have to help. I'm a Ford 1G-3G-4G guy and I don't really do Delcos.

Am I losing anything by using it?
I don’t mind sending it back and getting the best solution.

And... what would be your recommendation for a 3g with the right vertical mounting tabs.
Tuff Stuff/powermaster?

#5 ·
Pretty much what Woodchuck said. My main beef with those Delcos is I had to replace too many of them back in the day. They tend to run too hot and that shortens their life. Chrome or powder coat on their cases probably doesn't help much. 3G's have improved cooling. On the other hand we ARE talking long term hard-use issues really. Such don't effect weekend cars that may not get out but once or twice a month and only in nice weather.

What I like best about 3G's is how they charge at low RPM. IE, at light in the rain with the wipers, defrost, and all on your lights don't go dim at traffic lights like older alternators allow. That includes the Delcos. But again, when it's not your daily driver it's hardly an issue. But that headlight dimming thing REALLY personally bugs me.

Some folks with single belts have an issue with belt squeal. Now mostly it's when they first start up after sitting for a while. Which means the alternator is sensing a fairly low battery and is going into beast mode to get it back up ASAP. This loads the belt pretty good. That by itself doesn't bother me too much and a larger diameter pulley can help. If your belts aren't quite exactly in line they will squeal really bad because of that also. Often you can not correct the belt alignment and instead add another belt and stop the squeal. Sort of. A lot of people have found it to be a decent bandaid fix. Many people aren't aware that their belts simply aren't in line, it's not something that jumps out at you. They can be just a little off and you can't even tell by simply looking.

Reactions: Woodchuck
#6 ·
I have the CVF Black powder coated ALT on my 65 with the 8 rib serp kit. I have only started the engine a few times but it does charge at idle with no issues. I did run a short ground wire from the ALT to the engine block. I would use it as you should not have any issues.

#7 ·
Well I pulled the trigger..... again.
Sent back the CVF Chebby Alternator.
And bought a black Powermaster Ford 3g.

I talked to Powermaster, shared my loads, and he talked to me into the 200amp.
Seems overkill to me, but he said the extra is good to have and no issue by having too much.
Only recommended a 4 or 6g wire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.