Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 1965 289 mustang coupe. The problem I'm having is that my car starts fine but once it turns off,the battery is dead and has to be recharged completely before turning on again. Could this be an alternator problem ? I went under the car and saw the alternator has a loose black wire and was wondering where it would be attached too. I replaced the voltage regulator yesterday and the battery I have is fairly new and reads good voltage. Any help would be greatly appreciated.....also I forget to mention my battery cables have been checked for corrosion

Attachments

·
Registered
880 Posts
That looks crusty, like it's been in a fire. Those terminals need cleaning at a minimum. I'd take it off and have it checked. Probably needs to be rebuilt. Could have a shorter diode. Causing the battery drain.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks crusty, like it's been in a fire. Those terminals need cleaning at a minimum. I'd take it off and have it checked. Probably needs to be rebuilt. Could have a shorter diode. Causing the battery drain.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I was thinking the same thing, I'll probably go by my local autoparts store to pick up another one. Is the loose black wire a ground going to the engine block ?

·
Registered
951 Posts
Yes, it's a ground, goes to the same place as the battery to engine ground. Have you measured voltage at the battery when it's running? As mentioned, clean all connections.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts