Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stroked 66 said that 66coupeNW markets a type of alternator that looks OEM for the era, but is also high performance? Who is the manufacturer? I normally take and keep good notes when researching, but for the life of me..... can't find 'em.

Jesse :wall:

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Powermaster is the name that comes to mind for upgraded alternators. A few years ago the hot ticket was a GM 12 SI swap. Now the buzz is about late model 3G Ford alternators. Neither of these options fit the period correct criteria, but they are the way to go in restomod land.

If you want to read up on the subject of electrical systems in vintage cars, M.A.D. Enterprises' web site is a good place to go. Mark at M.A.D. will tell you everything you want to know about the drawbacks of one-wire alternators, which is what most of these upgraded high-amp units seem to be.

But since your -- ahem, Mr. Wilhem's -- product is so low end, with no warranty, why wouldn't you -- I mean Mr. Wilhelm -- be content with a cheapo Kragen's reman?

·
Registered
440 Posts
But since your -- ahem, Mr. Wilhem's -- product is so low end, with no warranty, why wouldn't you -- I mean Mr. Wilhelm -- be content with a cheapo Kragen's reman?
They need the extra power for the period correct retractable top, just like the real Shelbys :joker: :lol: :joker:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha ha ha... very funny. Love the wise cracks. But seriously, ask SteveStang (if that's his name). I'm not Wilhelm and I do real estate.

You naile dit on the nose, thouhg. It is Powermaster.

I did spend some time trying to figure out what is guaranteeed on the cars, and I think I wasn't clear enough with Jon to get the right answer. The work is gauranteed. For instance, if a screw is loose or the paint flakes off, its fixed. In other words, just like everyone else.

As for the engine, Ford Racing doesn't warranty the engine, so you might have a hard time with that.

Please save your judgements until you see the product. In fact, if you want to arrange a tour, you are near a few of the cars.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The retractable is manual. The period correct refers to the 66 convertible's intial investment. It becomes a restomod from there. Thanks for your interest!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Ha ha ha... very funny. Love the wise cracks. But seriously, ask SteveStang (if that's his name). I'm not Wilhelm and I do real estate.

You naile dit on the nose, thouhg. It is Powermaster.

I did spend some time trying to figure out what is guaranteeed on the cars, and I think I wasn't clear enough with Jon to get the right answer. The work is gauranteed. For instance, if a screw is loose or the paint flakes off, its fixed. In other words, just like everyone else.

As for the engine, Ford Racing doesn't warranty the engine, so you might have a hard time with that.

Please save your judgements until you see the product. In fact, if you want to arrange a tour, you are near a few of the cars.
Ask me what, you seem to know everything. Seems somehow you turned this thread into more self promotion. Also you never answered my question. My real name is STEVE PARK, I am a carpentry contractor in P.A. and you are welcome over anytime.. :chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw: :joker:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seems like you were offended somehow. Ultimately, I just want to talk like a normal person on here. If clearing up discrepancies about WMW comes off too positive, I guess the diplomat in me has shown through too brightly.

As for your question, give Jon a call. He can answer whatever questions you have. If you want, we can conference call.

Jesse ;)

·
Registered
295 Posts
So you want to start over, How about sharing some pics of YOUR car? How about telling us about some of the work you have done or had done or whatever.. Tips, tricks, or sharing your experiance.... You know what I mean. Cause it seems like your are always sneaking in WMW.
Steve
Give respect and recieve respect.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Jesse,

I do indeed carry what you're looking for. Check out the Modern Vintage Automotive LLC website.

My alternators are housed in the original "Autolite" style round-back case, which is period correct for our classic Stangs. I offer them in standard 60 amp versions (which is much improved from the original 40 or so amp) and also high-output 100 amp versions. I also offer them as standard externally regulated, or internally regulated 1-wire models, still in the correct Autolite style case.

I also offer chrome 100 amp alternators, either externally or internally regulated. These are housed in the later "Motorcraft" square-back style case. These are exact duplicates of the original in terms of mounting and wiring.

I have these alternators specially made per my specs by a large, major alternator manufacturer in Seattle. I'm an engineer, and I've developed a number of aircraft alternators over the years (even got a couple patents), and this is the mfg I've used in that business. They're good!

If you're interested, I'm offering these at a discount to VMFers. Here's my VMF ad.

Got em on the shelf. Let me know if you're interested.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts