Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've been reading a ton about a 12V switch source for my electric choke. Consensus seems to wire it to the stator post on the alternator. Right now mine is wired to the post on the back of the ignition switch. It works fine enough but I don't like the wire running thru the firewall since right now there isn't a grommet there. Just the bare wire through a very small hole in the firewall. Yeah I know, last time I checked I wasn't impervious to fire so that's got to go.

I don't want to enlarge it for a grommet, i'd like to wire it to the stator. Only thing is I can't find that post on the alternator. Only switched source I can find there is the FLD post.

Can someone tell me where I can put it on the back of my alternator?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,247 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
I tried that post. Didn't get a reading from my multi meter with the ignition switched on. I'll try it again.
The engine has to be running, you should get around 6 or 7 volts, which is enough to operate a choke coil. That's the beauty of the sta post, it only have power when the alternator in running.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I tried that post. Didn't get a reading from my multi meter with the ignition switched on. I'll try it again.
You won't get voltage on the stator post unless the engine is running.
That is why it is used to power the choke.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The engine has to be running, you should get around 6 or 7 volts, which is enough to operate a choke coil. That's the beauty of the sta post, it only have power when the alternator in running.
You won't get voltage on the stator post unless the engine is running.
That is why it is used to power the choke.
Light bulb moment! That makes sense! Love this forum. Great for newbies like me!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok the lightbulb just flickered. I forgot that when I wired my Retrosound radio, I enlarged the firewall hole, put a grommet in there and wired the radio and the choke to separate fused switched sources on my fuse panel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts