Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a new 100 amp alternator made by powermaster. It is described as being a single wire alternator that can be adapted to a three wire alternator. I do not have the original alternator harness. Is it possible to just run a single wire setup? The instructions say "the one wire internal regulator in this upgrade unit is designed to turn itself on as it senses current produced by the alternator." It also says that if the unit is replacing an alternator with an external regulator, you should remove the external unit all together. Is the external regulator the same thing as the voltage regulator? Does this mean that I can completely discard the voltage regulator and forget about the original alternator wiring harness? I would love to just be able to run a hot wire from the battery and hope that the thing works. Any info provided would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Deathman68

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Yep, one wire. If you have a voltatage regulator, remove it and tape the wires to the harness, do the same with the wires that went to the stock alternator, if you have them. Run one wire to the positive side of the battery. I ran my wire to the side of the starter relay that goes directly to the battery (on the fender apron next to the battery). Remember to disconnect the battery before you do this. After you get it all hooked up, check the battery while the car is running with a volt meter, it should read 14.5 volts when the car is running.

Your stock amp guage/idiot light won't work anymore after this upgrade. I think there's a way to make it work but I don't know the details on that.

·
Banned
3,730 Posts
Yes you can bypass the voltage regulator.....Yup, that's what they're talking about. What you might consider is replace that potion of the oem harness completely to avoid any backfeeding from worn/damaged wiring...ie avoid re-energizing a "dead" wire.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I would try to find a harness and regulator in case the alt goes out on a road trip. You can not find them at regular autopart stores. Also you can hook up the alt to the harness that goes into the regulator this will keep you batt. light working and you will also not have to rev it to 1200 rpms to start the alt charge.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts