Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My battery gauge is pegged to the left toward the "D" and when I accelerate hard it will miss, it just starting doing this earlier today. This means I'm drawing power from the battery right? meaning it's not being charged... Does this mean I need a new alternator? Is there anything else I should check first? What about these rebuilds with new brushes, they aren't very expensive. What timing, I probably wont be able to drive my mustang to knott's for the ford show tomorrow!
thanks for any help

Matt Williams
67 coupe, 289

·
Premium Member
19,191 Posts
I'd also look at the voltage regulator and the battery as a three-set. A shorted cell in the battery will cause havoc with the charging system, as will a bad alternator or voltage regulator. Unless you are electrically inclined, my advice is to find a good electrical specialty shop and have them find the problem for you. Typical costs: $50-60.

http://clubs.hemmings.com/baymustang/platesmall.jpgLet me check your shorts! My multimeter is just a-waiting! Formerly known as Midlife in the old VMF.
King of the Old Farts *struts*

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fact that the amp-meter shows "discharge" probably indicates that the alternator isn't doing its job anymore. You're right in assuming that the power now comes from the battery...until it's flat.

The other components of the charging system are the VR and the battery (and the wiring of course).

Probably the best thing you can do is take the VR, the alternator and the battery to a shop that repairs this kind of equipment. They have the tools to measure and check these three components.

If the alternator is bad, buying a new one is the expensive way. I'd buy a rebuilt one because they are as good as new but not as expensive.

If the VR's bad, then you could upgrade to a solid-state (semiconductor) regulator. They don't have any moving parts that wear as do mechanical VR's. The solid state VR's pin-compatible (plug'n'play) with the conventional mechanical VR.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, thanks guys, I'll go have all three checked today. Glad to hear it's likely not to cost too much.
One more thing though, Where exactly is my voltage regulator?

Matt Williams
67 coupe, 289

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Should be located on the driver's side against the radiator support. It is held in place by two sheet metal screws. Just remove the screws and unplug the 4-prong connector.

Mustang Lovers ---- A Box-O-Choclates !!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts