1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 67fastback
351W
5 speed.

anyways, So i have some kind of alternator problem.. my alternator light (dash) comes on when I start my car, and randomly when I am at LOW rpm's.
If I drive at night, the headlights dim noticeably after only 3-4 min. (ALT light on the whole time when the lights go dim) so I have to drive without light to re-charge them. (and turns off the ALT light).

So I took the car to NAPA auto parts store, and had them test out the charge and stuff. they told me it was my regulator, said it was only giving my like half the charge it should be. So i got a new one, and installed it there, had the guy check the charge again, he said problem solved.
So I get about one block away, and the ALT light comes on again..
that night, lights dim again.

I had the guy check my alternator also when i was there, he said it is doing its job and is fine.

well at least I know it wasn't my regulator.

So any advice? I talked to a guy about it, but he didnt have any equipment with him, he thinks it could be possibly wired wrong. but not sure.

So was the guy at NAPA just an idiot? and I need a new alternator?
or what? any advice?

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Also alternator problem

My son had to jump start his 66 coupe and crossed the polarity and now we have replaced battery, two solid stat regulators and blown three alternators. Anyone know if the solenoid needs to be replaced or what else could be wrong?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts