Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where would I find the number on an alternator? I am trying to figure out if mine has been replaced or not. I was trying to clean it up some as I'm doing some detail work. This thing is a booger to clean good. If its not original, I might just replace it. I just can't find a number on it.

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
Depends on the year. Earlier alternators were ink stamped, and your stamp may be gone.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I were to rebuild this one, what would be a good kit to get? Some of the auto parts stores don't carry them.

·
Registered
35,959 Posts
If I were to rebuild this one, what would be a good kit to get? Some of the auto parts stores don't carry them.
Rock Auto can fix you up with the separate pieces. You'll need a brush set, commutator end bearing, drive end bearing and, if yours is defective, the rectifier bridge/diode pack.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rock Auto can fix you up with the separate pieces. You'll need a brush set, commutator end bearing, drive end bearing and, if yours is defective, the rectifier bridge/diode pack.
I was hoping there was a complete rebuild kit. I'll try to hunt this stuff down.

·
Registered
35,959 Posts
I was hoping there was a complete rebuild kit. I'll try to hunt this stuff down.
Not a big hunt.... AutoZone, Advance Auto, O'Reillys will probably have them too...if not in stock then the next day usually.

·
Premium Member
12,066 Posts
They used to sell a kit in the HELP! section. I haven't seen one in more than 20 years. There's more profit in selling the individual parts.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
I take mine to a friend in town named Edd that disassembles, cleans, bead blasts, rebuilds with USA components, repaints the pulley, fan and nut separately then reassembles and tests it. Usually in about 30 minutes. For a LOT less than a parts counter POS. Then I usually Satin coat it to keep it looking nice.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the parts on order. I have the alternator apart and cleaned the best that I can. I have tried 4 different cleaning products. Anyway, I got into it and when looking at the pictures below, you will see that the bushings are broke and at least 1 spring was loose. So with the bushings broke and springs not in their places, does anyone know of a picture or video that would be correct for this alternator? I can't find a photo of the inside of one to make sure I place everything back correctly. I believe that this alternator is original though.

IMG_8965.jpg IMG_8964.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts