Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You can see my set up on profile, but I should add thta I have an 8.5 amp electric fan set-up. All other items (lights etc. ) are standard.

I upgraded to a 100 amp when my engine was rebuit.

Do I have to wory about my wiring? Thanks in advance.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
No. What you DO have to concern yourself with is that you don't keep adding stuff to the stock wiring. Make sure your fan and other accessories you add have their own fuse box and runs from the battery, don't add them into the existing wiring. You can add relays from the existing wiring to run them, though.

The existing wiring is pretty maxed in the amperage it can carry. Your stock equipment will not draw any more amperage than with the old alternator, but if you add accessorries it will ... that's when you run into problems.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Even with added electric fan, u'll be fine with 65Amps Alt. Wiring is fine for 100Amps Alt. Make sure that u not adding heavy rice stereo to it and u'll be fine.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I made the mistake of hooking my electric fan up to the stock wiring. It pulled around 10 amps. The first time the fan kicked on with lights on, my wiring started smoking. Fortunately I was in the garage and was able to shut it off quickly before any damage or fire started.

Also, I'm sure I was fortunate that the only wiring in my car that hasn't been replaced with new wires is the tail light harness, the turn signal switch and the wiper motor harness.

Don't run electric radiator fans from the stock wiring!

G

·
I am running an electric fan with stock wiring on my 70 and I have wondered about that for sometime. What would be the safest and best way to wire it? My battery is in the trunk. Thanks

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I would imagine that your starter selonoid is still in the engine bay, and your + battery cable runs to there. The + battery cable is capable of just about what ever amperage you could draw from it, other than a direct short to ground.

Therefore, you can run a heavy gauge wire from the + side of the starter selonoid to a seperate fuse block, and run all your aftermarket accessories from there. You can have the accessories switched by a relay from the stock wiring (relays draw very, very little amperage on the switch side) so that the accessories turn off with the ignition key, but don't run the accessories themselves from the stock wiring.

I mounted a fuse block in my engine bay which is where I hook things like my MSD-6AL, and the electric fan (before I yanked it out).

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks johnpro (and Kent).

The fan is wired in separately, but someone told me that it might be a problem. I guess they were thinking I had it wired in to the stock wiring.

Be assured I have no intention of adding a ricer stereo. I don't even plan to add FM!

·
Registered
188 Posts
im running a 5 speaker stereo system, MSD ignition, and an electric rediator fan and have had absolutely no problems at all with them and the 100 amp alternator that i currently have /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 9 of 9 Posts