Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who here has done an alternator upgrade. Preferably a one wire upgrade? What did you use. Where did you get parts?
TIA Tod

·
Registered
695 Posts
I've had my Power Master 100 amp for a few years. No problems. Got it at Summit.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I'm running 100 amp PowerMasters in both my '66 and '69. They can be a challenge to install on a SBF, though, as they often come with the post located in such a way that it hits against the block when everything gets tightened down. I've seen some that were easy to "clock" it the other way to get it away from the block, and some that don't have enough wiring inside them to do it. Those ones take some extra work to mount (ala the one on my 408).

I got them both from Summit.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,744 Posts
I went on a 3G alternator kick a while back. I used them from 96 Mustang V6 cars though you can find them on Tauruses. Genuine Ford and they put out 130 amps. Not exactly "1 wire" though, you need to run an "exciter" wire to a dash warning light. I like having a dash light anyway. I get them from 96 Mustangs because you need the plug-in for the alternator from a donor car. These unplug from both ends on Mustangs where on other cars you have to cut the wires. Some salvage yards don't like people cutting wires. I understand somebody is selling new plug-ins separately these days, and of course you can grab a new or rebuilt alternator at any parts store. I've had good luck so far with used ones. Put one on a 200 six Mustang (why not), SWMBO's '86 Mustang (to keep up with electric fans), my Bronco (because the 2G could never quite keep up), and a friend's 68 Mustang.
I paid no more than $35 for any of the alternators, no extra for the small bit of wiring harness. I like 'em.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I am running a late model GM 100 amp internally regulated alternator with this wiring kit:

Mad Electrical alternator kit

The product page lists several reasons why he thinks this setup works better than a 1 wire setup. Mine has worked perfectly. The instructions that come with the kit will list several GM alternators that will work depending on the amperage and setup of the plugs you want. It was a very easy install.

I also got this bright headlight kit from him to help solve the dim headlight problem with these older cars. Here it is:

Mad Electrical headlight kit

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'M ALSO USING MAD ELECTRICAL SYSTEM WITH A GM ALTERNATOR, I HAVE THE BATTERY & SOLENOID IN THE TRUNK, RELAYS FOR MY NOW "BRIGHT" HEADLIGHTS MOUNTED NEAR THE RADIATOR. ITS A GREAT SYSTEM AND AS A SIDE BENEFIT I HAVE NOTICED BETTER PERFORMANCE.

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
Check with 66coupeNW. He sells a good alternator upgrade (High Amps low RPM's).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts