Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Without a wiring diagram, I'd say the big ring goes to the red post, the short yellow with cracks to the post to the right of the red post, the other yellow to the post below the red one and the small ring to the ground post at the top. Once the big ring is attached, I don't think the yellow with cracked insulation would reach to the lowest post. A test light from battery positive to the small ring should show it to be a ground wire. Just a guess.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok I will try. I do know finding diagrams for a 289 are hard to find considering mine is not a high performance. Thx

·
Registered
872 Posts
Black/yellow to BAT/red post. Yellowish looking wires are actually white, solid white to FLD/white post. White/black wire to STA/black post. Black/red wire with small terminal to either GRD post on alternator. Black/red with large terminal to ground where the - battery cable bolts to the block.
Looks like you need a new harness, very inexpensive and easy to replace.

1965c.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Black/yellow to BAT/red post. Yellowish looking wires are actually white, solid white to FLD/white post. White/black wire to STA/black post. Black/red wire with small terminal to either GRD post on alternator. Black/red with large terminal to ground where the - battery cable bolts to the block.
Looks like you need a new harness, very inexpensive and easy to replace.

View attachment 751584
[/QUOT
Good to know. Yes the cabling is very brittle. Which wiring harness do I need or what is the name of that harness. I probably should know much more but I do not.

·
Registered
9,042 Posts
Sometimes Pictures are better than words...
origi6566alternatorwiringpic.jpg
Picture20067.jpg

Reactions: Texas65Pony

·
Registered
9,042 Posts
Yes, '65 had both Clusters...So you'll have to pay attention to which cluster you have...The Falcon Cluster, or the 5-Dial Cluster.. Good Point.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Should I get a new voltage regulator along with the wiring harness if the starter/battery/alternator have been replaced.

·
Registered
9,042 Posts
Yep, You want the Motorcraft GR540B......Correct! It's a Solid State 80'-'90's Ford designed Voltage Regulator.....It's literally lightyears better in performance and function and reliability than the Original Points type OEM Voltage regulators..

:eek:)

Tony K.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts