Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 1967 code A coupe about 25 miles per month. The PO installed no name chrome valve covers that need to be replaced. Is the high price charged for aluminum worth it? Is there an advantage to aluminum?

Ed

·
Registered
359 Posts
Is the high price charged for aluminum worth it? Is there an advantage to aluminum?
Only if you don't like chrome. ;)

I'm a big fan of aluminum, specifically polished aluminum. There's not much advantage to it, other than that the flanges are much less likely to get warped by over-torquing, thereby giving a flat and even surface for better sealing.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I like the aluminum,such as the cobra covers,because they are the closest to factory covers as for as baffles and the way the oil caps and pcv valves fit. Most of the after market covers just do not compare this way.My .02! FastE

·
Registered
467 Posts
I'm also a aluminum fan. I bought a new set for my '65 289 coupe and they look great. I've also been told that aluminum disperses heat better than the chrome ones. I cannot confirm this, but perhaps someone else here can!

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Aluminum does conduct heat very well. One down side is that aluminum doesn't hold a shine as well as chrome. OTOH, aluminum doesn't rust!

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Yes, well I'm spoiled... I went for the chrome originals.

·
Registered
938 Posts
No, no ,no...you must use the original painted blue valve covers. You are to be a purist/enthusiast with your Mustang. This restomod of Mustangs is EVIL!!!

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Ambush, are you talking to me? If so, no worries... it's for the Cat, and the Cat originally had chrome as a part of the Dan Gurney Special package. ::

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Reasons aluminum are better than chrome:
1) Lighter
2) Disipate heat better (unless they are polished)
3) Chrome will eventually peel and rust
4) Noise Reduction
5) Clearance for roller rockers
6) Aluminum just looks better!

Now, here's the most important one I can think of....aluminum is easier to restore and keep nice. If they are painted, you can repaint them. If they are polished, you can use aluminum polish to bring them back. With chrome, once the chrome starts going south, you either have to purchase new ones or send them off to be re-chromed. I've had the M/T alum valve covers on my car for over 15 years and I've probably repainted them 4 or 5 times...they look great!

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I've had the M/T alum valve covers on my car for over 15 years and I've probably repainted them 4 or 5 times...they look great!
LOVE those valve covers. I've got the same ones on my sportsroof, that I bought from 66benchoupe. I used to have them on my old '66 as well. I agree, 66benchoupe owned these valve covers a long time, and I've owned them for a couple years now. I repainted and polished them up and they still look good as new.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I like aluminum...they look better and they have a tendency not to leak as much as the flimsy Chrome ones...

as far as heat goes, the chrome ones have a tendency to store and reflect heat a bit better than do the aluminum covers....

I have alum valve covers on my 280z, 5.8L bronco and the 69 beast

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Whatever you decide, if you get chrome one's, get "good" chrome one's! Swmbo and kids got me some cheapo chrome covers and after I put them on, oil constantly blows out of the drivers side thru the breather cap!. No tube on that side like is on the old painted cover. It does have a baffle, but not enough. I think I will get some good one's and covertly swap them out, and hope they don't notice... ::

1 - 14 of 14 Posts