Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a couple questions about aluminum driveshafts. Do they make any difference in power? I have looked at the aluminum driveshaft from Mustangs Plus and was interested. I know places might advertise an increase in power to the rear wheels but is it true? Another question is would a carbon fiber driveshaft be better? I have read about them once before but never heard about anyone who makes them. They are supposed to be very strong and light. One last questions about the aluminum driveshaft, how much power can an aluminum driveshaft handle? I have a 289 currently but I will be putting in a 302 GT-40 crate engine from Ford (345 HP). Will it be able to handle it? Thank you for any help anyone can give me on these questions.

Stang6767
Bryan

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think it's peak torque you need to worry about. A first generation Lightning pickup is rated at 240 hp and 340 ft-lbs torque, it's got an aluminum drive shaft.

Ollie

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Ya know,...this seems to be a popular topic right now. Mustang Monthly (May 2001 issue) is claiming "more power" on this swap too.

Personally, I don't believe it.

Does anyone out there have real world experience? Less rotating mass = faster acceleration but "More power"?

Replies appreciated!

http://home.netcom.com/~jonescha/Photos/DCP_0355_178x109.jpg
"If you're under control you're not going fast enough"
Parnelli Jones
Try my website

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I'm picking up the aluminum driveline I bought from Mustangs Plus from a driveline shop today. The driveshaft wasn't balanced as advertised. Instead of exchanging it for another driveline (which would probably be out of balance as well), I bit the bullet and had it balanced locally. They are damening it as well since Aluminum has the tendency to "sing" at high RPMs. I'd recommend buying the Ford Motorsport driveline for the late model, only $160, and having it shortened (I think its longer) and balanced. That will be about as expensive as the Mustang Plus driveline and you'll be sure its right.

Black primer 66 coupe, bench seat, 68 302-2V, C-4, 3.55 TSD
879 posts as "66 bench-coupe" on old VMF
robert94928 on Yahoo Messenger <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by 66benchcoupe on 04/09/01 04:15 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts