Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have come upon an aluminum flywheel for my Ford FE. It has an insert that looks like slotted clutch disc and feels much the same. Anyone come across anything like this?

·
Registered
892 Posts
It sounds like an aluminum flywheel with a replaceable wear surface. I used to have one but sold it off before using it and replaced it with a lightened steel flywheel.

Can you post any pics?

Sent from my LG-D631 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,818 Posts
It looks to me like the friction surface is riveted to the main body of the flywheel so it can be replaced when it is worn. I have one for a SBF that is made the same way.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Try to determine who made the flywheel, and if the friction surface can be replaced. If the friction surface is secured by nuts and bolts, it probably can be replaced, as long as the manufacturer is still making them I've seen several aluminum flywheels where the friction surface is advertised as not replaceable, and IMO, that would be a dis-qualifier.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Try to determine who made the flywheel, and if the friction surface can be replaced. If the friction surface is secured by nuts and bolts, it probably can be replaced, as long as the manufacturer is still making them I've seen several aluminum flywheels where the friction surface is advertised as not replaceable, and IMO, that would be a dis-qualifier.
Thanks, I'll see if I can find any markings

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts