Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience with using an aluminum flywheel on the street? I'm familiar with their use on oval-track cars and the benefits derived from one (feels like adding 15-20 hp on a 2300 4-cyl. from quicker rpm gain) They're not cheap, but are available for small-block Fords and I'm wondering what "down sides" there might be...aside from cost. Anybody??

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Main negative is lack of intertia when operating with low compression and moderate cam lobe overlap. More of a driveability than performance issue. High numerical rear gears would mitigate substantially.

Personally, I wouldn't run one on the street.

Track engines are a completely different animal. Even then, we never ran aluminum flywheels on small blocks (drag racing) but I do understand their benefits to oval/road engines, especially on tight courses.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
I concur w/Pat. My stang has a "Factory" one installed (actually came from shelby's shop that way), and with the tall gears & high torque, it's not a problem. But if I were running say 3.50's, it would be a very difficult street driver.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts