Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do the 1987 5.0 heads with larger than stock valves compare with basic aluminum heads on a street 331? What's your favorite aluminum head set for under $1,000.

·
Registered
703 Posts
The E7 heads are not even better then our stock 289 heads. Here is a link with some flow numbers, not sure how accurate they are but just a perspective:

Not sure how much better the E7 flows with larger valves without porting them. But I suspect not even close to some of the newer aluminum heads. I don't know of any good aluminum heads for less then 1k. You can keep an eye for some used ones that just require some work to renew them. Good Luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Gt40s from an explorer are an improvement over the e7s and can be gotten cheap from the salvage yard. The p heads are the best but will have to address the plug angle with your exhaust.

·
Registered
721 Posts
any aftermarket entry level head is a big improvement over ported E7/gt40 heads. they are garbage and dont fall for the gt40 hype. they are a waste of money.

·
Registered
20 Posts
any aftermarket entry level head is a big improvement over ported E7/gt40 heads. they are garbage and dont fall for the gt40 hype. they are a waste of money.
Gt40ps perform well above an e7. And for like $200 at the yard hardly a waste of money. Agreed tho aftermarket aluminum heads are the ticket especially on a stroker motor. Really depends on what your goals are for the car.

·
Registered
556 Posts
GT40P are a very cheap option. I pulled mine for $45 from a junk yard (4th of July sale). However, keep in mind the springs should be replaced. If more work is needed from a machine shop (valve job, resurfacing,...) the costs can go up very fast and brings you close to a new set of heads. Porting is not really needed. And yes, special headers or HiPo exhaust manifolds are needed.
I would suggest to get some quotes from your local machine shops first and make the math. They are good heads and you can learn a lot by doing things on your own.

·
Registered
721 Posts
gt40 P heads flow about 20 cfm more than E7 heads if i remember correctly. a 347 stroker with gt40 heads will be lucky to make 300 hp. not worth it in any way. they are a performance gimmick from ford lol

·
Registered
136 Posts
If you plan on running a flat tappet cam the Edelbrock E-street heads seem to be a good option for a good price. If you need to run a roller cam then there are better options as the springs on the E streets need to be changed. I would guess that they will handily out power any cast iron head, are american made and will take about 50 lbs off the nose of the car.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Yeah, if you've got a 331, don't install cast iron heads. Even the Edelbrock E-streets would be a better head than an E7 or GT40.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts